Cleaning Fireplace Bricks

Does anyone have an easy way to clean fireplace brick? Also, living in the south we have a lot of humid days even in the winter. Does anyone know of a way to keep the fireplace smell away during those humid days?

Ward from Minden, LA

I got this recipe from Kawkawlin Stone sales. It worked excellently for me. 1 QT warm water--1/4 cup powdered Tide-1/2 cup bleach. Directions: start from the bottom and scrub 3 or 4 rows. Let set for 10 minutes. Rinse well. Repeat until you reach the top.

I just asked this same question about the smell and was told to burn candles in the fire place itself. It WORKS!

When we moved into our home here,there were two white brick fireplaces.They were filthy black from all the soot and dirt.I mixed up a solution of soapy water and clorox, 3 to 1 mixture and sprayed them from the top down. You would not believe how fast all that grime disappeared!

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 11, 2009
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Homemade Fireplace Cleaner Recipes
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Photo of three red bricks.
Craft Ideas for Bricks