What is the Ratio of Yeast to Flour When Baking?

By mark 1

How many ounces of yeast do I need for 5 lb of flour?

By Mark from Hamltion, NJ

Showing: Answers Sort

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

If you are making a recipe that calls for 5 lbs. of flour doesn't the recipe tell how much yeast to use too? Otherwise do some googling and see if you can find something.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vin 7 9 Flag

Many recipes will call for about 1 pkg of yeast for each 6-7 cups of flour. Five pounds of flour is 17 1/2 cups; so it's roughly 3 times. A package of yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoons. Remember that there are many other factors determining the amount of yeast in a recipe.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Keeper 58 1,055 Flag

Mark, if you do a lot of baking go to:baking911.com It's an excellent source of answers for all baking questions.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jeneene 7 47 Flag

Depends on how long you want to let it rise. Look at YouTube and you'll learn all you need to know. If you want to let it rise all night you can use 1/4 teaspoon for a loaf, if you want two hours, use a package.

I tried the all night rise this week and it tasted great!

I recommend Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. If you go to their website you'll find some info about the low yeast method.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Julia 147 1,074 Flag

Hi Mark,

The ratio of yeast to flour is also dependent on what else is in the bread dough. How much salt, how much sugar, how much shortening or butter etc.

I recently made 5 huge loaves of bread, and a dozen cinnamon rolls using a dough that had a half pound of butter, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 4 tsps salt, 4 medium boiled potatoes along with the 4 cups of water they were boiled in, and

I added 1/2 cup milk. I used 3 pkgs of dry yeast and about 6 pounds of all-purpose-unbleached flour.

It took nearly 3 times as long for it to rise as it normally does when I'm making just plain white bread, but oh my, what a nice flavor it has. The potatoes are a great addition to almost any bread, but not everyone, of course. Remember, the less yeast you use, the longer it's going to take the dough to rise, but it develops a better flavor

in that process.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your bread making. Just realize that it's very addictive. Contrary to what I'd often heard about taking out your frustrations or anger when kneading bread dough, I knead all the love I feel for those who will be eating the bread into mine. :-)

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Yeast for Baking
Buying and Using Yeast for Baking
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingApril 26, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Yeast
Storing Yeast
Dog's Yeast Infection
Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection
Yeast for Baking
Buying and Using Yeast for Baking
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:29:45 PM on 10.0.0.94 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings