What is the Ratio of Yeast to Flour When Baking?

How many ounces of yeast do I need for 5 lb of flour?

By Mark from Hamltion, NJ

If you are making a recipe that calls for 5 lbs. of flour doesn't the recipe tell how much yeast to use too? Otherwise do some googling and see if you can find something.

Many recipes will call for about 1 pkg of yeast for each 6-7 cups of flour. Five pounds of flour is 17 1/2 cups; so it's roughly 3 times. A package of yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoons. Remember that there are many other factors determining the amount of yeast in a recipe.

Mark, if you do a lot of baking go to:baking911.com It's an excellent source of answers for all baking questions.

Depends on how long you want to let it rise. Look at YouTube and you'll learn all you need to know. If you want to let it rise all night you can use 1/4 teaspoon for a loaf, if you want two hours, use a package.

I tried the all night rise this week and it tasted great!

I recommend Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. If you go to their website you'll find some info about the low yeast method.

Hi Mark,

The ratio of yeast to flour is also dependent on what else is in the bread dough. How much salt, how much sugar, how much shortening or butter etc.

I recently made 5 huge loaves of bread, and a dozen cinnamon rolls using a dough that had a half pound of butter, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 4 tsps salt, 4 medium boiled potatoes along with the 4 cups of water they were boiled in, and

I added 1/2 cup milk. I used 3 pkgs of dry yeast and about 6 pounds of all-purpose-unbleached flour.

It took nearly 3 times as long for it to rise as it normally does when I'm making just plain white bread, but oh my, what a nice flavor it has. The potatoes are a great addition to almost any bread, but not everyone, of course. Remember, the less yeast you use, the longer it's going to take the dough to rise, but it develops a better flavor

in that process.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your bread making. Just realize that it's very addictive. Contrary to what I'd often heard about taking out your frustrations or anger when kneading bread dough, I knead all the love I feel for those who will be eating the bread into mine. :-)

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Yeast for Baking
Buying and Using Yeast for Baking
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingApril 26, 2010
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
🎉
🎄