Reinforcing Leather Gloves

Does anyone have any ideas for making leather gloves last longer? I have two pairs, one for gardening and one for working in the barn. The first things that go are the tips of the fingers on my right hand. Since I always buy gloves that fit snug (I hate loose gloves) there is no room for me to just sew across the top of the fingers. Is there a way I could reinforce the tops of the fingers before I start using the gloves? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marion from Ontario, Canada

have you thought about cutting picces from an old pair and gluing them on the fingertips of a new pair hotglue maybe. then if it wears out replacing it, Its worth a shot.

I used to see a product sold in tool stores for dipping the handles. You could predip the fingertips in something similar, even paint would help.

what if you put a pair of latex exam gloves over the leather ones.??

Thanks everyone for your inventive ideas. All of them sound great so I will be trying them one by one. I especially think the "dip" stuff would be ideal since it does not add any more bulk to the tips. Thanks again

The secret here really is to buy a pair which are a size too big. You save the finger tips and palm pieces from older gloves. Then turn new gloves inside out and stitch the old tip and palm pieces in place. turn the glove back and you have reinforced them with no cost.

to really preserve gloves that are functional and not fancy you can treat them like shoes and polish them. it preserves the leather and improves flexibility but black polish will rub off so use for work gloves only.

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingSeptember 9, 2008
Fan Patterned Fingerless Gloves
Making Fan Pattern Fingerless Gloves
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
knitted fingerless gloves
Knitting Fingerless Gloves