Puppy With Dandruff

I have a 3 month old puppy who gets really bad (for lack of a better word) "dandruff". I purchased some oatmeal shampoo, but bathing him hasn't lessened the problem. I'm wondering if this is normal or something I should be concerned about? Maybe I just notice it more on him than on other dogs b/c of his black coat, but the flakes are very visible. He doesn't seem to be itching or bothered. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sarah from Portland, OR

We had a dog with "dandruff' and itching too. It turned out he had allergies. Unfortunately he was allergic to beef and chicken and even lamb. The only thing that worked for him was salmon based food. It was made by Iams but I think they may have stopped making it. Your vet should be consulted. Food allergies if left untreated can turn into house destroying gas and eventual diarhea Ick! Good luck

Have you tried adding a little bit of vegetable oil to your puppy's food? It helped our dog out. Good luck

My sister-in-law had this problem with her dog. I don't know what type of dog he was, but his coat looked similar to your dog's. Anyway, the vet told her to make sure and rinse him very VERY thoroughly when washing him. Because of the type of coat he had, suds would get caught by the skin and would then cause the skin to flake. So once she started rinsing him super well, the flaking stopped.

Three months old, huh? Have you been to the vet for puppy stuff like shots and worming?

If you're going to raise and care for a dog, you better get used to going to the vet. I think this is the time.

try brewers yeast... and fish oil... My pooches think they are treast.. We have 3 K-9s and 1 of them has very dry skin.. the other does have allergies so we cover both bases.

you may be bathing him too much, drying out his skin

Because the puppy is so young, it could be as simple as a "cradle cap" type thing going on. I would buy puppy shampoo and only bath him if he got dirty. Overwashing and not rinsing well could also be the problem.

We had a dog who had this dander too. The vet said it was caused by allergies. I believe all dogs and cats have a certain amount of dander, but when excessive I'd ask the vet. Our pooch required cortisone shots. BTW, it is this dander that humans are allergic to and not the dog hair itself.

Best of luck

He's adorable. I hope the brewer's yeast and fish oil in his food works, along with the thorough rinsing, after his bath, will help. But if not, it could be allergies. I'd think he'd be itching and scratching with allergies.

Many puppies seem to have more dandruff or dry, flaky skin than would be expected. This is quite normal in puppies and is especially noted in those with dark coat colors. This is simply because the dander becomes quite visible against the dark hair. In most puppies, especially those less than four months of age, the normal lubricating glands (sebaceous glands) of the skin tend to be underactive. As these glands mature, their lubrication output increases to match the needs of the coat. Factors such as dry air (low humidity) will also contribute to dander production. Dander is dry, dead skin that in the absence of moisture will flake away and be visible as white flakes. This 'flaking' may also be itchy.

Fatty acid supplements such as Drs. Foster & Smith Vitacaps or Vitacoat work well at supplying needed oils for the hair coat. Oatmeal shampoos followed by a moisturizing rinse will help keep the oils in, cleanse the skin, and remove the dander.

Instead of many baths, wipe him down every day with a cloth moistened with distilled water. This helps remove the dander - also works on cats. Don't have to make a big deal of it just a simple wipe down - which they usually like.

When my daughter was allergic to my cat the vet told me to try this and it worked! I got to keep my cat and my daughter got to stop sneezing.

I would suggest taking him to the vet. He seems too young to be having skin problems already.

My thoughts

1) he might have allergies to his food, etc...

2) one way to find out...

Stop bathing him & start brushing him

First rinse him really good with solution of 1 part vinegar to 20 parts water... soak him down with it & towel dry

Spraying him to damp once per day (evening, before bed) every day for 14 days with Colloidal Silver (10 ppm) and then brush, brush, brush when the Colloidal Silver spray has had time to dry & absorb.

If you don't bathe him at all for at least 30 days, then you will be able to better determine if this is a skin problem or an allergy problem.

Feel free to e-mail me bama.brat AT Yahoo.com

Our pug/ poogle dog has the same problem. Our "country vet" said to give him 1 capsule of fish liver oil. (We put his over to of hot dogs) It's kept him itch and dandruff free for 8 years now.

You can find fish liver oil in the pharmacy.

Try this really, it works!

My puppy Tess has dandruff too. We're brushing her but it seems to just be stirring up the dandruff, and we put just a drop or two of vegetable oil in her food too.

Wash your puppy with Head&Shoulders, it works ;)

It works and wount hurt your hairy baby

My friend has a liter of puppies that she is noticing dandruff on there heads a few flakes they are still nursing and have not had there first bath. What could that be does it start that young? They are 4 weeks old.

My Bull Terrier puppy has dandruff, which recently started. I first used store bought shampoo, and yesterday switched to a more expensive brand from PetSmart. I gave him a nice bath last night, two applications! When I went home for lunch today to walk him, his dandruff was even worst. What can be causing it?

I have (5 ) 10 week old yorkies and they all have cradle cap on the back of their necks. We use dawn dish soap for fleas, but it seems to help with cradle cap too, but it keeps coming back.

Pets HealthSeptember 11, 2007
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
"Puppy Love" Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow Snack Recipes
🎄