Heartworm Shots

I will soon be adopting a 40 pound dog named Josh. This dog has heartworms and I am looking for what is the lowest price on Heartworm shots. What is the lowest price for a heartworm shot for a 40 lb dog that is not far in the process of heartworms?

Sophie from New Orleans, LA

Heartworm is a very serious condition. You have to know your veternarian (sp?) and be able to trust that his charges are fair. Don't delay. Get that dog cared for. Maybe the spca or some other organization could give you an idea of how much they usually cost. Or ask your local Animal Control Officer, is your town has one.

i adopted a large dog several years ago . the dog had heartworms. the treatment for killing heartworms is expensive and makes the dog so sick mine would not eat. it takes several days and getting them to eat is one worry,,, i tried boiled chicken and hand fed it to the dog ...she recovered and lived 7 more years, the only way. is the treatment.

not that cost is not important but you need to give that dog the best care possible. heart worm treatment is expensive. if you are adopting from a rescue they probably would help with the treatment. if cost is a concern maybe you shouldn't adopt this dog.

Do a search on Google and look for companies in Australia. I buy all my pet meds from a company down under because I save, even including the shipping in the price of the item. I use Revolution because it gets fleas and protects against heartworms and the pet can be bathed without it loosing it's effect. I went to my vet first though and would advise this.

Self treatment for heartworm is not an option and it is fatal unless treated ASAP. I agree with Sandy 63, if cost is a concern, perhaps this is not the dog for you.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I've never heard of heartworm shots - just pills. If the dog already has heartworms, he has to go through the whole treatment. If you give him the pills, it will kill all the worms at once and once dead they let go of the tissue and float through the blood stream. All of them dying at once will most likely block a blood vein and cause a heart attack. I also adopted a dog from the humane society that had heartworms. The suggestion to ask them for help in getting the necessary treatment is the best advice I've heard. I didn't even think of that. Also, recovery is very tricky!!!!!!!! I had a rat terrier (very hyper dogs). I was severly warned from the vet that he was not to get excited and jump around after treatment during recovery. Just letting him out of the carrier to go potty was tough. I kept a leash on him to try and keep his movements to a minimum at all times. He survived and was a blessing to our family. I hope all goes well for you. Pets are a very special blessing from God. That kind of unconditional love is even sometimes hard to find in your own parents and children.

Before you do this, make sure your dog is heartworm FREE!! Go to a vet and get the test, less than $20.

Then buy Ivomec (Ivermectin) 1% Injection for Cattle & Swine (this is what you use on dogs). Note-YOU NEVER INJECT THIS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR DOG, THIS IS GIVEN BY MOUTH... Buy at http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/6098.aspx or Google for best price...

You will also need a 3 cc syringe broken in to 1 cc or ml measurements (you won't use the needle part on the animal) only to remove the Ivomec from the bottle, then you remove the needle.... Use the needle and syringe over and over if you clean each time with water.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0 ... O/002-7830445-4146410?tag=thrif06-20

I use this as well. 1cc per 100 lbs. Don't use the plus just regular. It usually runs about $35 per bottle.

A dog getting a checkup from a veterinarian.
Treating Heartworms in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthJune 20, 2006
family photos
Making a Photo Calendar
Helping Kids Get Shots
Helping Kids Get Shots
Jello Shots
Jello Shots Recipes
🎉
🎄