Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Underarm Odor On Dry Clean Only Clothes

I have a very expensive, dry clean only suit that has underarm odor. I took it to the cleaners but the odor is still there. Any suggestions?

Kia from Chicago, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By bj (Guest Post)11/24/2008

Good preventative product to try is Dr. Mist. I've ordered it by case online. Can be sprayed directly onto you and clothes throughout day AFTER odor is present and it helps! Have used it for feminine odor, shoes, too.

If you are unwilling to order it you may have limited success with the "rock crystal" deodorant sprays available at healthfood stores. No guarantees about these being stain-free, though. Would be likely to leave a mineral-like circle on clothing. Have NOT tried these for feminine odor.

By bj (Guest Post)11/24/2008

Spray an enzyme intended for pet odors on inside of underarm area. Dozens of brands available at pet stores, but Wal-mart carries Odornix in 16 oz spray.

If garment also smells from outside sniff test you should saturate area and then work with light out sweeping motions with damp lint free cloth along outside edge to avoid a "water ring" stain when article drys. You would ideally do this 2-3 times during dry time.

Sounds tedious, but dry cleaning will not remove odors. If you want to spend $$$ to preserve fine garment w/o risk look for dry cleaner that still has ozone room. Good luck with that!

By Katherine (Guest Post)08/23/2008

I use a little ammonia in the washer when I launder my husbands clothes. It removes the underarm odor completely.

By Ray05/15/2007

If you are trying to get the odor out of the clothing, spray a little diluted odorxit concentrate on that smelly areas. it will remove the odor. as for the source of the odor, you are on your own.

By pam munro [447]07/27/2006

I spray those areas with extra strength Fabreze - It saves drycleaning -

Here are questions related to Underarm Odor On Dry Clean Only Clothes.

Question: Removing Underarm Odor on Dry Clean Clothing

How do I remove underarm odor on a black, dry clean only, suit?

By Yvonne

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]03/04/2012

If dry cleaning hasn't taken the odor off, I'm not sure anything will. You might try spot cleaning with a vinegar dampened cloth, but check for colour fastness first on one of the inside seams.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Armpit Smell On Dry Clean Only Clothes

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get out perspiration and armpit smell out of dry clean clothes. I have seen many suggestions for washable clothes, but cannot find anything for fine fabrics. I work in suits everyday, and am tired of spending big bucks on new suits, only to feel like walking body odor after month or so! Please help.

Erika

RE: Armpit Smell On Dry Clean Only Clothes

Try using plain white vinegar with water. It works on all my fine washables. When I wore suits for work, my shirt absorbed the underarm odors. In between wearings, the jacket would be aired just by leaving it out in my home-like hanging it up on the shower curtain rod. If your suits don't require a shirt, the underarm pads sound like a good idea. They have been around for decades since women first had this problem in the early decades of the 20th century. You could also make your own, using a shoulder pad for a pattern, or even use a shoulder pad. By attaching it inside your suit, with tiny snaps or velcro, so it wouldn't move around, your problem would be solved. (08/30/2005)

By gator10tx

Vinegar

i also recommend using vinegar under your arms. it really helps me. I use mitchum anitpersperant but I also have breakthru odor sometimes. I wash well and the smell is still there. Let it dry a bit then wipe all over underarm with vinegar, white or cider. let it sit for a bit then just wipe it off. It works wonders. Vinegar is a miracle in a bottle. (08/30/2005)

By sandy

Certain Dry

There is also a product called Certain Dry which is the Superman of the antiperspirant world. It's only applied once every 2-3 days, believe it or not. It may also help to curb the odor. (08/30/2005)

By bbb

Dryel

Have you tried a product called Dryel? You can find it at most chain grocery or discount stores like WalMart. The starter kit is about 9 bucks. You get a big heavy plastic bag and some spot remover and X number of cloths that you put into the big bag, add your clothes to be dry cleaned and refreshed and then just pop them into the clothes dryer for 20 minutes. I recommend taking them out immediately after the dryer stops tumbling and hanging the items right away. Everything comes out nice and fresh and wrinkle free. I have saved hundreds of dollars in dry cleaning bills since this product has come out! I have never used it on feather or down pillows or jackets but I know that others have been successful with it. Once you try this you will probably never bother going to the dry cleaner again unless you have an odd stain. Do not use this product on Leather items from what I hear. Only clothing. Best Wishes! (08/31/2005)

By peachhead