Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Recipes Using Canned Chicken

I have several cans of cooked chicken. What can I do with already cooked chicken other than salad? I want something hot for winter months. Thanks.

By Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By lavonneann [4]10/24/2009

Make a medium white sauce, add the chicken and add some peas or whatever veggies you might have leftover. Heat and serve over toast, rice or potatoes.

By Stephanie [111]10/23/2009

I often make fast chicken noodle soup with canned chicken. I heat canned chicken, packaged broth, and frozen mixed vegetables to a boil, add noodles until cooked. It takes perhaps 10 minutes to make and is great on a cold day or when sick.

By glenda eileen lockhart [37]10/23/2009

French Toast Chicken Sandwich: 1 cup finely diced cooked chicken, 2 T. chopped onions, 1/4 cup finely diced celery (I omit), 1/2 t. prepared mustard, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/2 t. salt, dash pepper, 8 slices buttered bread (outside), 3 eggs, 6 T. milk. Combine chicken, onion, celery, mayo, and seasonings. Spread bread with filling. Top with slice of bread. Beat eggs and milk. Dip sandwiches in mixture and fry in butter until golden brown. Yeilds 4 sandwiches. I've also buttered bread on outside of sandwiches and toasted in electric sandwich maker.

By Mary Lynn10/23/2009

When making chicken rice from the package - I add canned chicken.

By Barbara Pope [10]10/23/2009

I love to buy the Swanson's canned chicken, either the 3 pack of small cans or the larger cans. Another yummy option is the Tyson refrigerated chicken strips. The small cans are just the right size to make a chicken salad sandwich. I add mayo, salt, and pepper, but you can season it however you like.

I have also used it to make chicken soup, stir fry, chili, and black bean soup. You could also see using it to make soft or hard shell tacos, burritos, and stew.

By SouthernLou10/23/2009

This is an easy way to use the chicken. Saute as much onion and celery in butter as you will need for whatever amount you are making. Then add one or two cans of cream of "your choice" soup, some pimento for color and the chicken.
Season to taste and serve over biscuits. Be sure to rinse the chicken after opening. You could also toss in some sour cream and chicken bouillon. You could add diced green peppers.

You could mix the chicken with cream cheese and onion, then bake in crescent rolls. Possibilities are endless!

By Barbara10/22/2009

You can do anything with canned chicken that you would do with leftover cooked chicken - sandwiches, casseroles, add it to a fritata (wonderful for brunch!. Good luck - you shouldn't find much in the way of leftovers from a good chicken casserole.

By Anonymous [848]10/22/2009

Here are three recipes :-)

Quick & Easy Chicken Quesadillas

1 3oz can diced chicken breasts, drained
1/4 cup medium or hot salsa
4ea 8 inch flour tortillas
1 cup Colby, Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, finely shredded (mix & match is fun ;-)
Cooking spray
Sour cream and extra salsa for serving

Mix chicken and salsa in a small bowl.

Layer two of the tortillas with 1/2 of the chicken mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Top each with the remaining two tortillas.

Lightly spray the top of each quesadilla with cooking spray and lightly spray the skillet and lightly spray the skillet again for the subsequent quesadilla.

Cook each quesadilla uncovered over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.

Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa.

Be creative and add items such as chopped: Green Chilis, Jalapeños, Black Olives or even Corn Kernnels.

Chipotle Chicken Soft Tacos for Two

12 ounces sliced bacon, cut in to small pieces
1/8 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
4 corn tortillas
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 lime, juiced
Sour Cream

In a large, deep skillet fry the bacon over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain the bacon fat. Add the onions to the pan with the bacon and cook 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Stir in the chicken and chipotle chiles; cook 4 minutes or until heated through.

I have a tortilla warmer that you pop in the microwave but if you don't have one you can heat the tortillas in an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 to 10 seconds on each side.

Chicken Salad Bagel Sandwiches

Great way to use up leftovers and they can be wrapped and stored in the fridge for the next day if you would like to make ahead.

2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or diced
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup mayonnaise, or more to taste
4 bagels, split (I happen to love sesame for this recipe but onion is yummy, too)
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced

Mix chicken, bacon, celery, onions, basil, garlic powder and mayonnaise in a bowl. Spread chicken mixture on bottom halves of bagels, top with cucumber slices and cover with top halves of bagels.

By kathleen williams [23]10/22/2009

Make some good old fashion chicken & dumplings also old fashion dressing. Good luck.