Inexpensive Wedding Tips

I am 50 years old and getting married for 2nd time. We are on a budget. Any ideas on what I can wear? How can I cut costs? There are only about 20 people going and we have a budget of about 500 pounds.

By Pillows from England, UK

Hi. I borrowed a wedding dress for my wedding. But, you might check with your local Thrift Stores. I always see inexpensive but beautiful dresses there. I put my wedding together with a tight budget in less than 4 months. I did all the flowers, food, favors and invitations myself. Saved a lot of money that way. I splurged on getting my hair done, but otherwise did everything myself. It really wasn't that stressful. Nobody knew I did it myself until after the wedding. I had people asking who catered and did the flowers! That was the best part. Knowing everything looked and tasted professionally done. Good luck with your wedding and marriage!

I don't know if they have "Prom" & "homecoming" in Britain (when high school girls get dressed up in formals) because I found a lovely full-length white prom dress & wore it as a wedding gown & it only cost me $80... I ordered my wedding cake from a grocery store for far less money than a bakery or a specialty cake store. For the party afterwords, my mom asked her closest friends to make h'orderves & snacks (pot-luck style) so we had a little something to eat & instead of expensive champagne or wine, we got a keg of beer & everyone was happy! You will have to rent a hall, but sometime you can rent the basement of a church. I used inexpensive crape-paper in colors that matched my cake to decorate with & give the place a little color. I bought my wedding bouquet flowers at a grocery store & made my own bouquet.

I'm a firm believer in dumping many of the "you have to do it this way" mentality of weddings, especially in this economy. Since it's a second wedding, would you be open to the idea of having the meal as "pot luck?" Everyone has a wonderful recipe they make. Ask your guests to make their favorite dish to pass and bring the recipe as a gift to couple. This way, it becomes a real celebration with family and friends who truly love you and your new husband.

Serving deviled eggs at a wedding reception.
Planning a Frugal Wedding Reception
Weddings AdviceApril 14, 2010
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Catering food.
Inexpensive Wedding Catering Strategies
🎉
🎄