TipsClothing

Use Thrift Store Mini Skirts as Bargain Belly Bands

This is a slightly unusual tip that I thought to share with you. I wear a stretchy mini skirt around my middle underneath my clothes! At the moment I am an 'apple' shape and due to a medical condition my belly is distended and I look pregnant. I liked the idea of wearing a 'body' under my clothes but they would need washing everyday like regular underwear. They are expensive too.

I found an old mini skirt in my wardrobe from my younger years and wondered if I could use it like a belly band. It's made from cotton with some elastane so it's a comfy fit.I feel like it keeps in my tummy and keeps me warm under my clothes. We had a heatwave not so long ago and I was fine wearing it then. Where I would normally perspire, I was kept dry.

Specially designed belly bands are expensive so I suggest buying a cheap mini skirt (charity shops are a good place to find them in the U.K.) Just try to find one that is the pull-on kind that's nice and stretchy. I told you it was unusual!

By Monique63 from SOMERSET, U.K.

Wow! You are quite resourceful! Great idea! It's cool how the most unusual tips can be some of the very best!

Another thing that might work for you when you need something really soft & comfy is to buy a stretchy cotton interlock knit at the fabric store then sew just one seam up the center. Also, look for bathing suite material for an extra tight fit. For the winter months you can buy a tight fitting but fairy thin pullover sweater then cut the top half off (right under the sleeves). It makes me think twice about some of those mini skirts I've put back on the rack at the thrift shops.

You know, I've never thought about it before now, but I wear leg-warmers & arm-warmers when it's super cold, why not a belly-warmer too! This would be great for those cold winters climates in the USA like North Dakota & Minnesota. You could even pull it up over your "hooters" too, for extra warmth! Thanks!

This is a very good idea. You can also use them as maternity bands so that you can wear your normal clothes during pregnancy. Tank Tops can be used the same way:

http://www.bell  ternityBand.html