My Frugal Life: "If Nothing Ever Changes, Nothing Ever Changes"

One cannot lose weight by eating a faulty diet. I eat whole grain bread, lots of fruits and vegetables, and keep bad fats like margarine and chemically-extracted oils and sugars, especially white sugar, to almost nonexistent. My motto is, "If nothing ever changes, nothing ever changes." And these new changes must become a standard in one' life.

I read a lot of books on nutrition--that was my ammunition. Once one realizes the harmful effects of a poor diet, and the great benefits of choosing foods wisely, it's a whole lot easier to make changes--if not for yourself, for your family.

I recently read that if one eats organic foods as much as possible, one could eliminate 86% of the chemicals entering entering his body. It's a health insurance policy, in that regard. You may spend more for organic initially, but save thousands of dollars on medical bills in the future. Woodman's has a nice assortment of organic foods, which is where I get most of mine. And with the farmers markets starting up again, that's another source for wholesome foods.

Many people do not get 8 hours of sleep per night, which also contributes to weight gain. I don't know why that occurs but it does. I buy cold-pressed oils from Trader Joe's in Milwaukee. I also grow my own fruits and vegetables in a chemical-free garden. My lawn is untreated and the deer, turkeys, and birds thank me for it as they graze there daily.

This time of year, you can find me digging up dandelions, root and all, to make my dandelion tonic tea. I wash them well, throw them in a kettle, add water, bring to a boil, then turn off, cover and allow to sit overnight. Strain, bottle, freeze/refrigerate. and consume a couple glassfuls each day. Why would one want to put herbicides on such a beneficial source of nutrients? I'm baffled. Don't people want to be well? I could go on and on, but enough for now.

By the way, my husband and I are 66 and 67 years old and take no medications.

Source: Years of research and eating whole foods.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMay 10, 2011
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎄