Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Kitchen Paint Color Advice - Knotty Pine

I need to paint my kitchen. Right now I have an eating area paneled in beautiful dark knotty pine (which I don't want to paint over or remove). I have a white linoleum floor, painted white cabinets (which I would love to paint a different color), white appliances (which will stay white) and the kicker--- pale green marbleized plastic tiles (4x4) going up 3/4 of the walls with 2 rows of burgundy colored trim plastic tiles. These were put in before we moved in. I think in the 50s or 60s. (the house was built in 1942).

The little wall I have to paint is now light yellow, the ceiling is white, and the counters are a "butcher block" formica. I was thinking of painting the cabinets creamy tan and the walls a burgundy (?!) I really don't want to remove the tiles (very time consuming and the adhesive is hard as a rock) or paint them (they scratch easily and it might look weird). The kitchen area is approx. 9x11 and the eating area is 10x11. I guess I'm going for a warmer scheme to work with the pine. I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks.

Jeri from Omaha, NE

Answers

Jeri- you have the hottest color palette around! honey tones and burgundy - colors like foxy and flowerpot are more earthy colors in a kitchen. Dried Thyme - look for colors and a style to inspire you. Why not paint the cabinets a red tone and antique them or sand off some paint and give them an old red barn look ?? You can paint tiles as long as you use a good primer like Zinner 1,2,3 and use a gloss paint to look like tile, then seal them to protect them. A picture might help!