Cat Scratching Everything But Scratching Post

Does any one have a way to stop a cat from scratching furniture? We just got a new living room set and he has already started to scratch it. We do have a large scratch post for the 2 cats. Please help before he ruins the new set.

By Donna from Ontario, Canada

Best Answer

Here is their scratch post we made them .. And our new furniture...

Best Answer

Donna --

That's an EXCELLENT post! My cats would love something like that. We started making one for them last fall, but never finished. We got the big circular forms that they use when pouring concrete . . . I think it's like a heavy cardboard with a slight plastic coating . . . that was going to be a tube for them to lie/hide in. (We really should finish that project!)

I hope you find a good solution for the scratching. And I hope your cats enjoy their fresh catnip! We rescued our youngest cat last summer. Until a week or two ago he had only been exposed to dried catnip (which he enjoyed). But then I got a fresh plant and gave him a few leaves. Oh, MAN! He turned into a maniac (more than normal). It's quite entertaining. :-)

Let me know how it goes with the scratching . . . best of luck!

Best Answer

My cat liked to sharpen his claws on my new hooked rug. He hates the smell of my hand lotion so I put a little hand lotion on a kleenex and tucked it under the rug, He never touched it again. I understand cats do not like the smell of Avon Skin So Soft bath oil. Might be worth a try. Good luck. I have used the sticky tape too. It worked well.

Best Answer

Mrs. Story, We found the log down the back of our property and thought it would make a good scratch pole and place for maxx and charlie to play.. all recycled items.. I always wanted the round cylinders to make them a sleeping place..lol. :)

Best Answer

Try buying a bottle of catnip spray. It drew all 12 of my cats to our scratching post, now they are happy to scratch that more than the couch, when they stop I respray it with the catnip spray again and they all come back to the tower.

I use Sticky Paws. It's like super extra large double stick tape.

When I went to Petsmart the other day, I saw it on rolls, too. There used to be a favorite corner of the couch, so I place our scratching post right at that corner. I also keep spray bottles around the house, set to "stream."

Some cats prefer a different type of scratcher. One of ours only uses the corrugated cardboard type:

http://www.catsplay.com/imp_10651.jpg

If your cats are affected by catnip, you might want to pick up a fresh plant. They're more readily available at this time of year -- look where they sell herb plants. Pinch off some leaves, and rub them against the scratching post. There is definitely a dramatic difference between fresh and dried!

Luckily when we got new furniture last year, the cats left it alone (except for lounging on it!). Best of luck getting the scratching under control.

Thanks Very Much Mrs. Story! I will try that, they are not into cat nip but i am looking. I may try some fresh and see if that works!

Lizzyanny, Thanks for the idea of SSsoft. Cats didn't like the smell but dog did!

Misty the Dog licked it off the leather...lol.

Crazy animals! :D

Buff colored cat scratching furniture
Pets CatsMay 4, 2010
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
The new cat scratching post.
Building a Cat Scratching Post
cat on a wicker chair
Repairing Cat Scratches on Wicker Furniture
🎄
🍂