Breakage from Hair Straightening

I went to the hair dresser for the first time. My hair was really long and thick and my mom didn't want to do it anymore because it would take 2 hours.

The first time i went to the hair dresser, I got it straightened for school. And it looked a little shorter, but you couldn't really tell. The 2nd time I went to a different place, and they put some kind of chemicals in it because my hair was getting shorter throughout the year.

Now my hair is up to my shoulders and keeps breaking off. But I'm afraid to go back to the hair dresser. But I really want my hair to grow back. Please help.

By Alex from Philadelphia, PA

I never go to a beauty shop,they do more damage than good so I do my hair at home. I use baby oil or mineral oil. Let it stay over night then wash with a good shampoo from Dollar store. The cheapest they have is ok, good luck.

What a disaster! I use plain REAL mayonnaise as a conditioner; you won't believe your hair afterward. Dampen hair; generously apply the mayo from roots to tip; cover hair with plastic wrap, wait at least an hour before rinsing. I've never had a problem of residue in my hair. I have shared them with people with hair problems you wouldn't believe and THEY can believe how wonderful it works.

But, I think the first important thing is to have your hair trimmed back to get the broken edges off first. If you can go to an 'old fashioned' beauty salon, they've usually seen everything under this sun!

REALLY IMPORTANT: I take horsetail herbs in a capsule to grow my hair. I had a thyroid problem and my hair literally came out in clumps. There are other herbs that work for hair too. BUT first check with your doctor-herbs are MEDICINE. You could be allergic to them or any other herb. I take 2 caps twice or three times a day (depending on if I remember!).

I also take, along with a multi-vitamin with minerals, 1000mg of selenium a day. This really helps; you'll see your nails grow too, as well as with the horsetail. But again, ask your doctor first.

You may have to see a dermatologist instead, but get professional advice first.

Good Luck Sweetie!

First of all, if you're having your hair 'chemically' straightened you should keep going to the same hairstylist! Different stylists use different hair straightening based chemicals and the difference in chemicals is probably causing the problem.

Perhaps you would be better off not having your hair chemically straightened and take the time to heat flat iron it yourself after each shampoo if your hair is not ethnically too curly to do so. I am of mixed race but it's wavy and not super curly so I blow it dry and simply use the straight iron. I do it in sections. Clip up your upper hair out of the way and then straighten the lower hair and then drop the upper hair down in sections to straighten and keep going until you're done with the very top section.

I hope this makes sense to you and that the information helps.

It is tough to know what advice to offer you when we don't really know what you have had done with your hair. Do you do a lot of drying and straightening? Have you had it chemically straightened? Are you dying your hair?

It may be that you have split ends, which happens if you grow your hair long and never have them trimmed back at all. Split ends also happen if you do a lot of drying, curling or straightening. I seriously doubt that going to the beauty salon is the cause of your hair troubles. After all, they go to school to learn how to treat hair properly. If they ruined hair, they would be out of business.

I had long hair as a teenager, and certainly never needed to take anything to grow it, nor would I put mayo or baby oil in it. I had a problem with oily hair as it was, although spilt ends would develop over time. Hair just wears out, you know.

I wonder what it is that you are doing with your hair that takes two hours. Straightening it? If that is the case, than that may be part of the reason for the hair damage.

A small drop of olive oil at night to my hair then put it up with clips seems to work wonders for my hair. I also curl it in the am with regular plug up curlers. My daughter does the same but she wraps her hair and uses a silk scarf. Also only silk/or satin like pillows or and no cotton to your hair. Your hair will work its way into the weave in cotton and the cotton will pull out your hair and split your ends.

A woman looking at the ends of her damaged hair.
Remedies for Damaged Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips DamagedApril 24, 2010
Permed Hair
Straightening Permed Hair
African American woman with natural hair holding a strand and looking at it with concern
Remedy for Hair Damaged By Relaxer
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink