Making Weatherproof Garden Markers

I'm looking for some ideas to make markers for my various herbs in my garden. I would like them to be weatherproof.

By RealtorRose from Malvern, PA

I do the same thing with bleach bottles or milk jugs.

Tracey in Jacksonville FL

I cut up plastic containers and use colored sharpies to make the labels. I make the whole thing one piece, the long pointed part to push into the ground and the wide part at the top to write on.

I have used margarine lids, Orange juice bottles, etc. If you use a magic eraser you can remove the painted lables on the lids to write on both sides. My personal preference is white or colored plastic so you can write/decorate both sides without it showing through.

These weather well, but fade or break after a while in the sun or if you leave them out in the winter (usually will last a couple of season), but they are easy to make

Go to a thrift store, dollar store, flea market, or yard sale and look for vinyl mini blinds. Cut apart the slats and use them as your markers. You can cut them into whatever length you need for the size pot you have. Use a #2 pencil to write the plant info. Markers will fade in time. A paint pen can also be used, but they are more expensive.

I use a seal-type baggie over the empty seed packet or a note card, propped up on a stick.

I use coke cola cans of any kind. Take an old pair of scissors or side cutters if you have them and clip through the seam in the top of the can and all the way down the side around the bottom and top take time to clip the hair of aluminum off the square you come up with and write on it on a napkin with a ball point pen and it will last forever. cut the label to the size you need. I staple the label to a wooden stick or punch a hole and tie it with a twist tie to the plant. Lasts longer than some of the plants.

Thanks all. I have already put some herbs in my garden so I'm anxious to make some markers.

I just wrote on a plastic spoon with a permanent marker and stuck the handle in the ground. I suppose you could write on a plastic knife handle, rub the sharp part of the knife on a cement sidewalk to dull it and stick that side in the ground.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 14, 2009
Decorations at an Outdoor Wedding
Decorating for an Outdoor Wedding
Sand Dollar Plant Markers
Sand Dollar Plant Markers
Popsicle Stick Plant Marker
Homemade Plant Markers
Soda Can Plant Labels
Making Soda Can Plant Labels
🎉
🎄