BakingFood Tips

Oven Rack Height When Baking

After all these years I wondered if I am bakig my cookies on the right oven height. I have been using the 2nd notch from the bottom and today tried the 1st notch on the bottom. I know some recipes call for using the middle rack. I never have known if the top notch was for broiling or if the 2nd from the top was for broiling. Anyone know?

Kittie1

Hi Kitty,

In most ovens the broiler would be the top rack notchs, if broiling DONT forget to leave oven door open a crack or more.

The other broiler on ovens is located on the bottom inside of the drawer. Usually there is a special broiler pan that came w/your oven that fits into the grooves & slides right in.

Hope this helps you < smile > I bake my cookies on the middle rack.

I use the top notch if there is room (like, flat pans and small items like bread). However, I use my Pampered Chef baking stone with handles that stick up, and toast bread with butter for Spaghetti, and it works MUCH better on the SECOND notch down. Most things seem to burn more easily when I use the top notch, so I more often use the seond one down! I have cooked meat like that before, with great success.

I also bake my cookies on the top or second notch - my oven will burn the bottoms if I put them any lower!