Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

How do you get rid of raspberry plants? These are non-fruit bearing plants. I keep cutting them back and have sprayed with weed killer and bleach.

Thanks for your help.

By Sue from Saratoga, CA

I planted some raspberries and found the canes wandered too close to our pressure-treated wood fence to be safe (the arsenic in the fence leeches into the ground. Ugh). I found I had to dig up the entire section of garden that contained the canes and runners and remove them by hand. If you don't get them all up, they start again the following year.

June 25, 2010 Flag

What do you use to get rid of pesky raspberry plants that are old and sprouting up all over the yard? How do you remove old roots after cutting them back?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By leftthesanebehind from St Paul, AB

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

Aside from saying, thank you Mother Earth for throwing food at me, you mean? I saw a different way of planting raspberries in Portland 3 years ago and decided if I ever had my favorite berry again, I'd copy the method. The person had cleared a circle 6-8 feet across on his lawn and planted the entire thing with raspberries probably 6-8 inches apart, all the way around and criss crossing the circle, to the center. They held each other up, and he/she had a great crop.

Now I realize you're experiencing the nuisance aspect of their fertility, but maybe you could just draw a circle around the greater growth area, and fill it in with cuttings, which will sprout nicely. As for the ones you don't want, pour hot water on them? Or cover with black plastic over the winter.

Sorry if I'm being a bit facetious; I just love those berries, and I miss them. (09/02/2009)

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

First, I'd like a few of your "pups" and you could offer some on the seed swap site here, most folks don't mind paying postage so you can get rid of them. Secondly, pour vinegar on the pups and then try putting some old carpeting upside down on top of the areas that are "pupping" and it may prevent the problem. Vinegar will kill anything it touches so be careful and don't use near any plants you want to keep. (09/03/2009)

By wolfbytez

Getting Rid of Raspberry Plants

Dig them out and offer them up on your local Freecycling group! (09/03/2009)

By jdsjkk

Home and Garden Gardening BerriesJune 25, 2010
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Cheesecake with fresh raspberries and sauce.
Raspberry Sauce Recipes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Two earwigs on a yellow flower.
Getting Rid of Earwigs