Keeping Cool Tube

• new disposable diaper
  • 45x3 1/4 inch fabric
  • sewing machine
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide

Take a diaper and take apart the layers. In the middle is cotton type material, it contains microscopic crystals, that holds moisture.

Take a piece of fabric, 45 by 3 1/4 inches, fold in half to wrong sides together with 1/2 inch seam allowance stitch the full length of the fabric to construct a long tube. Turn right side out 6 inches from 1 end and stitch across to seal. Stuff in the cotton from the diaper, trying to distribute evenly, then stitch across 6 inches from the opposite end.

To hydrate the material inside the tube: In a large Ziploc bag, pour 2 cups cool distilled water and 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide. Place your diaper cotton stuffed tube in this bag, the cotton will expand holding the liquid, it will stay cool. Place this on the back of your neck. As it draws the heat from your body it starts to warm. Just turn it over to the cooler side. This will eventually dry out. Each time you need to rehydrate, add 1/3 cup of hydrogen peroxide to distilled water before rehydrating. This will foam up, it's killing any bacteria that has transferred to the cool tube (if you do not use the peroxide it will start to smell.) Don't worry, it will not bleach clothing. At the end of the hot season, just hang it out to dry completely or just make a new one next year. I suggest making 1 for dirty jobs, gardening or washing the car. You can keep them in the refrigerator to get them really cool.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove, CA

WOW that sounds cool. Since I am no where

near Lemon Grove (loved that big Lemon)

(left San Diego for Missouri) it gets a LOT

hotter and humid here

I will make those I walk outside for doggie

but I would like to stay cool

Thank you for the tip.

BEFORE EVERYONE GOES OUT AND DISECTS A DIAPER!!...You can get bags of this material at garden centers. It's the pellets that you put in plants to retain moisture. You need about 1 T. in the tube to swell up nice and big. If you experiment and it's not enough, you can add more. I make these and sell them. They are a great way to use up scrap materials.

This is a great idea, you just don't need the diapers unless you have them at home left over.

Would you believe I can no longer get the crystals, I did buy a tube for $9 at the fair this year, but I think it's a lot cheaper to ask a friend for a diaper and do you tell the purchasers to put peroxide in the water so they don't start smelling?

My local dollar store now sells these.

For our wonderful men and ladies that serve our country = they use any piece of material or square scarf rolled to about two inches and then sewed down the sides and ends with those gel things. You wet the whole thing in ice water or whatever liquid you have on hand and put it around your neck to stay cold. I bought my gel things at Wal Mart and you can use them to water live plants with also.

Homemade Ice Packs
Crafts OtherSeptember 9, 2008
Paper Tube Marshmallow Launcher
Making a Paper Tube Marshmallow Launcher
three examples
Making an Ice Pack With Rice
A thermometer on the side of a house reading 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Keeping Your House Cool Without AC
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube