Stenciled Garden Sign

This is a cute sign to hang in your garden area. I have mine in my garden shed.

Approximate Time: 2 hours (paint drying considered)

• scrap wood
  • paint
  • stencil
  • tape measure
  • stippling brush
  • wood glue
  • masking tape
  • drill and bit
  • twine
  • pegs
  • paint brush
  • crackle paint
  • objects to hang on pegs

Instructions:

1. Gather supplies.

2. Create a stencil. I worked in a shipping department and made mine on the stencil machine there. Be sure to decide what you what your sign to say. You can draw it free hand or buy stencils in the store and use the individual letters to make a sign. Lay it out and be sure the board you've chosen is the correct size to hold all the words.

3. Drill holes where you want to put the pegs. Use wood glue and glue them in place. Drill holes on the top to attach the twine for hanging. Or you may want to screw a stake on the back and stick it in the ground instead of hanging it.

4. I crackle painted mine. Whatever first color you use remember that will be the color showing through the cracks. I did green underneath, crackle medium then yellow on top. It will crack and look aged. Or you can just paint it and not do the crackle paint. Whatever you choose. The crackle medium can be bought in any craft store.

5. After it's painted and dried, put the stencil on and use a stippling brush to fill in the space with black paint. You may want to use masking tape to tape the sign or letters to keep them from moving. Put a little paint on the brush and do like a dry painting by tapping it in the space of the stencil until you fill the whole area evenly with paint. Remove the stencil and let dry.

6. Hang or stick in ground.

7. You can add whatever cute items you have that goes along with the theme of the sign. I did dried flowers and an old little rusty bird house.

There are lots of cute things you can stencil on your sign. Here are a few I've heard, thought of myself or seen:

• Gardens Make Scents
  • Herb Garden
  • Dried Flowers
  • I Dig My Garden
  • Bird Bath - 5 Cents
  • Flowers Grow Here
  • Gardeners Know All The Dirt
  • Every Bunny Welcome
  • Butterfly Garden
  • Shhhhh, Bulbs Sleeping
  • Gone Bird Watching
  • Grandmas Know Best
  • Grandkids Crossing
  • Gardeners Tell Blooming Stories
  • Bunny Crossing
  • Grandma's Garden

By Little Suzy from OH

A leaf stencil attached to a wall.
Stenciled Craft Project Ideas
Crafts Garden & Yard DecorationsJune 6, 2009
Welcome Sign
Making a Welcome Sign
Woman Teaching Sign Language
Learning Sign Language
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Painted "Closed" Sign
Waterproofing Painted Signs
🎄