Dogs Wakes Up Every Night

I have a 9 year old Yorkie, who is totally devoted to me. Since a puppy she has slept on the floor next to my bed. For the past year or so she keeps waking me up at 3 AM to have a pee. At 7 AM, she yips until I get up. Has anyone any tips to help me get her out of this habit?

Stella from Berkshire, England

At 9 years old, she is like me and other old folks--

can't hold it as long as we once could.

No kidding, taking her out later before she goes

to bed might help. My MinPin, has to get up

at 4 every morning, then he sleeps til breakfast

is on the table. Can't miss a meal. IMA3

Hi Stella,

Please take your little fur baby to the Veterinarian, he might have a urinary problem.

Good luck.

You little Yorkie is a senior now and will have to use the bathroom more than before. She may not be able to hold it very long, and later on may become incontinate too. But as with everyone that has this problem we have to remember it's not their fault. It's good she will let you know. You could try putting someunder pads, human ones, on the floor and show it to her and try to get her to pee pee on them. I use this with my 2 Chihuahuas, that will at least let her use the pads to pee pee on durning the night. And also she maybe having a problem staying asleep. My older Chuhuahua always gets me up at horrible hrs durning the night and wants to stay up and sleep in the living room. Some times I will just let him sleep on the sofa, other times I get up with him and he, and my little female will all sunggle up together in my recliner. I sleep with mine and can't sleep without them now. lol They are all pack animals and consider you to be a member of the pack. A older dog requires alot more attention then a younger dog. They sometimes become senile and want comfort. If you are really concerned about this I suggest your go to you Vet and talk to them about it and see what they may suggest. Maybe she just wants to be with you and is lonely. They require alot of love at this age. and after a life time of loving you and protecting you and being your companion, they deserve it and more! Hope this has helped you.

I agree with Ima3! Just what I was going to post. You might also concider taking her water up at a certain point each evening so she isn't filling her bladder so late. Us older gals have to adapt to the passage of time. I have 2 older dogs & fortunately when I make my middle of the night sojourn they make theirs also.

As others have said she is getting old and does have a small bladder. You can limit water at night, but really have her checked out by your vet as there may be an underlying problem.

"DOG DOOR"

Fenced in back yard and dog door and teach her to go in and out the door and your all set.

I have 4 dogs so I know. None of them have to go at the same time. They can go and come as they please and "THEY ARE SAFE" in the yard.

Hope this helps.

Penny

all very good advice

Good, thoughtful advice. I would only add that a good, long walk every day will help her (and you) sleep better.

My 10 yr old beagle does the same thing, only more frequently. I cannot get more than a couple of hours of continuous sleep per night. She cries & howls if crated; scratches if in my room when the door is closed & will not stay outside in the fenced yard for more than 10 min w/out howling to come back in.

A sweet, loyal, devoted pet. However, she is wearing me out. Has anyone heard of glucosomine for this issue (hers, not mine!)??

sleeping boxer
Dog Won't Sleep Through the Night
Pets AdviceAugust 9, 2007
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Making a Date Night Jar
Making a Date Night Jar
little girl sleeping
Helping Kids Find the Bathroom at Night
🎄