Easy Craft Ideas

I am looking for some easy crafts for my 9 year old grandaughter. Her school is having a craft / bazar day next Saturday (Nov. 11th) which the kids can make things to sell at. I want to help her do this but am having a senior moment with this. We are allowed to help the kids make things to sell. I can't afford to spend a lot on supplies though we do have a lot already. Any help you can give for things she can make that'll sell would be greatly appreciated. The name of her little shop is going to be called "Stacy's Gift & Things Shop," with a Christmas theme. We are hoping for ideas for easy Christmas gifts & decorations / ornaments. Thanks in advance from both of us for any help you can give.

Betty from VA

I loved making cinnamon ornaments with my kids. After Christmas, I put them in a plastic baggie to keep the smell in and they smelled wonderful for years.

Recipe for Cinnamon Ornaments:

1 cup cinnamon

1 tablespoon ground cloves

1 tablespoon ground nutmeg

3/4 cup applesauce (drain in strainer for several hours)

2 tablespoons white glue

Mix, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg together. Add applesauce and glue. Work mixture with hands until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Use a straw to make a hole for ribbon. Place on wire rack and air dry for several days, making sure to turn occasionally. When dry, tie ribbon thru hole to make hanger.

Use www.orientaltrading.com as a aid. They have tons of craft kits. I have used them many times and made the kits and sold them at sales. You might have some supplies that you could use instead of buying the kit, so it could give you ideas for the supplies you already have.

I hope this helps and good luck to you and your granddaughter.

Dear Betty, I have just made some Christmas decorations from old CD's. I just wound some ribbon around the CD through the hole, leaving some of the silver side showing, and then placed a small santa ornament in the middle using double-sided tape, or you could use glue. I had the santa's already, but you could use holly or any other ornament. You could jazz it up with some beads or buttons as well. Good luck.

How about homemade scarves. Just buy about 1 1/2 yards of fleece(this will make at least 8 scarves), cut it lengthwise in about 6-8 inch increments. (6"or 8" by 1 1/2 yards) After you have cut the scarves, cut 1/2 inch wide fringe into the ends. Your granddaughter can embellish by glueing on some sequence or tying bells or beads onto the fringe. She could even try stamping with paint and foam stamps. Make sure that you cut the fleece the correct way, or else the scarves will stretch out too far and look stringy in time.

Another idea is to get some plain wooden cut outs/ornaments and dipping them in glue, then into tiny beads or glitter.

One more idea is chocolate/caramel dipped pretzel rods, individually wrapped.

Let me know if you'd like more ideas, I'm happy to help! You got my juices flowing...I'm off to make some crafts, myself.

In the last Thrifty Fun, there was a Christmas ornament called Starburst Christmas ornament.

I plan to make them with my nieces. It looks easy and fun to make.

I'm sure the moderator could let you know which Thrifty Fun newsletter it was in.

Editor's Note: http://www.thri  4541769.tip.html

Bake cookies or rice krispee bars. Tint the rice krispy mix red or free with food coloring. Maybe do a batch of each and package 1 of each in plastic wrap. Plastic tri-beads threaded 1 red/1 white on a pipe cleaner make cute candy cane ornaments (bend the finished piece into a cane shape. Get some red plastic spoons and dip into melted chocolate a few times. Wrap in cellophane and sell them to stir coffee with to add chocolate flavor. Small clothespins can have a tiny red pompom glued on the knob at the end, and glue on 2 jiggly eyes. add a tiny holly sprig or bow, and glue on a pin-back-makes a reindeer. Candy cane reindeer-glue pompom on the end of the hook part, and 2 jiggly eyes just above. Twist a chenille stem either into a corkscrew or bent into antler shape, then twist it onto the cane.

A couple years ago I made Borax Snowflakes!

You'll need White Pipe Cleaners, Borax (20 Mule Team), Mason Jar, Pencil, Hot water and a string. I made mine into Star Shapes & Spirals

(twist around the end of a ladle or wooden spoon)

These are so PRETTY and really EASY to make.

Here is what you do. 1. Cut a pipe cleaner into three equal parts. 2. Twist the sections together at their centers to form a six-sided snowflake shape. This will be your scaffold or template. If an end isn't even, just trim to get the desired shape. The snowflake scaffold should fit inside the jar. 3. Tie the string to the end of one of the snowflake arms. Tie the other end of the string to the pencil. You want the length to be such that the pencil hangs the snowflake scaffold freely into the jar (not touching the bottom of the jar). 4. Take the snowflake scaffold out of the jar & fill it with boiling water. 5. Add borax powder, one tablespoon at a time, to the boiling water. Stir to dissolve after each addition. Use 3 tablespoons of borax per cup of water (1 pint = 2 cups). It is okay if some undissolved borax settles to the bottom of the jar. 6. If desired, you may tint the mixture with food color. 7. Hang the pipe cleaner snowflake into the jar so that the pencil rests on top of the jar and the snowflake is completely covered with liquid. 8. Let the jar sit in an undisturbed location overnight. 9. The next day, look at your pretty crystals! Remove the snowflake, dispose of the liquid down the drain, and re-hang the snowflake until it is dry. Then you can hang your snowflake as a decoration or in a window to catch the sunlight.

These are the cutest little Button Snowman Pins I've ever seen...and they look soooooooo easy!

http://jas.fami  mp;craftid=10461