Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

When your salt shaker doesn't want to work for you, you can solve the problem by adding dry rice in with the salt. This way your salt won't ball up in little balls. I always put rice in the shaker every time I refill it up.

By mamacrafter from TN

Anonymous

I have a funny story to tell you about this one! When I was in my 20's I needed to earn some extra income so I worked at a really nice restaurant on Sunday's serving brunch. We would put rice in the salt shakers because the restaurant was right on the lake and using the rice kept the moisture out of the salt. Anyway, one morning one of my lady customers started wigging out and yelling at the top of her lungs that there were bugs in her salt shaker! I was totally embarrassed wondering just how to diffuse the situation because everyone in the restaurant was staring.

Well, as I was trying to explain to her that is was simply rice used to soak up the moisture a bunch of other customers were checking out their salt shakers and started laughing. Whew! The woman ended up being the one embarrassed and I felt really badly for her but all was well and ended well. ;-)