Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

When your salt shaker doesn't want to work for you, you can solve the problem by adding dry rice in with the salt. This way your salt won't ball up in little balls. I always put rice in the shaker every time I refill it up.

By mamacrafter from TN

I have a funny story to tell you about this one! When I was in my 20's I needed to earn some extra income so I worked at a really nice restaurant on Sunday's serving brunch. We would put rice in the salt shakers because the restaurant was right on the lake and using the rice kept the moisture out of the salt. Anyway, one morning one of my lady customers started wigging out and yelling at the top of her lungs that there were bugs in her salt shaker! I was totally embarrassed wondering just how to diffuse the situation because everyone in the restaurant was staring.

Well, as I was trying to explain to her that is was simply rice used to soak up the moisture a bunch of other customers were checking out their salt shakers and started laughing. Whew! The woman ended up being the one embarrassed and I felt really badly for her but all was well and ended well. ;-)

March 27, 2011 Flag

Today someone requested a tip for keeping salt and pepper shakers and sugar flowing. Put some rice in the shakers and it will keep the salt and pepper and sugar flowing. I do it and it works.

By Raymonde from North Bay, Ontario

Answers:

Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

Rice is great for salt and pepper but use a soda cracker in your sugar. That is what we did in our cafe. (09/25/2008)

By rosemarie

Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

I had forgotten all about this tip! When I was in my early 20's I worked at a restaurant on a lake serving Sunday brunch for extra money. The restaurant did this because of the moisture from the lake water in the air. Anyway, one morning a woman called me to her table and loudly and indignantly scolded me for maggots in the salt :-o I wanted to die of embarrassment! I was trying to explain it was rice but couldn't get a word in during her rant. God Bless the older gentleman at a table next to her who got her attention, opened the lid on his salt, dumped some out on the table and put a few pieces of rice in his mouth! LOL! (09/25/2008)

By Deeli

salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesMarch 27, 2011
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄