Sneaking Spinach

Ooooo I've always loved St. Patrick's Day - the whole MONTH of March actually! Everything is expected to be green, but not everything is expected to be good for you ...

Spinach is among my favorite foods, but alas - my children did not inherit my predilection for this nutrient-rich leafy green vegetable.

So, I had to get creative.

There are many places I've "hidden" cooked, pureed spinach. I've successfully "snuck" it into so many favorite foods, including "green waffles", homemade pizza, homemade spaghetti sauce, "green muffins", homemade "green bread", soup, "green sticky rice", "green banana bread", "green zucchini bread", even cake!

When a recipe calls for liquid or milk, use that amount of spinach puree (add a little of the water you used to steam the spinach in if you need to).

And be sure to use your imagination -- the mischievous leprechauns surely do! ;)

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

What ever happened to the old Popeye cartoons when I was a kid? Maybe more children would eat their spinach because Popeye loves spinach.

Great ideas! Too bad there wasn't a "red food month" or "orange food month" where you could sneak in tomatoes, red bell peppers, beets; and carrots and squashes! (Maybe red and green for Christmas...)

Baby food works good too if you don't have time to puree it yourself!

Chopped spinach works in Cheesy conqueso too! YUM

Thanks a lot for this post! I love spinach and enjoy finding new ways to put it into food, especially since fresh spinach is impossible to come by here. I have to use frozen stuff more often than I'm used to.

I'm not a fan of the texture of cooked spinach, so I too like sneaking it into other foods to avoid that slimyness. Sticking it in fried rice and curry sauces are some of my favorite ways to "hide" it. Also, having ricotta, spinach and chicken cannelloni is another delicious way of sneaking it into your diet.

what I "sneak" is garlic. I love it, and it's so good for you. My husband loves a good friend's cooking, & I know she uses alot of garlic, as I've watched how she prepares some of her dishes. But when I prepare the very same dish, he won't eat it when he realizes it has "garlic" in it. I keep telling him, "well you eat it, when you eat Maria's cooking, why not eat it here, too?" He'll come near eating my prepared dish when I say that to him.