BedroomDecorating

Decorating My Room for $20

Category Bedroom

I'm going to have my own bedroom for the first time in ages. It's a big room and I'm starting from scratch with very little money. I want to decorate it pretty but am struggling for ideas.

Right now I have...

• Some Bordeaux colored Sheer curtains
  • $20
  • a queen sized bed (I think my grandmother is going to give me some sheets which - I'm betting are plain white)
  • a white bookcase
  • a white dresser and night stand set
  • white walls (can't paint, I'm renting)
  • one large can of black paint
  • a blank canvas
  • a clock movement to turn some random item into a clock.

I think a big room with the only colored curtains and lots of white will drive me nuts. I don't know what I want the clock to be made from. I was thinking of doing some abstract things in the right colors for the canvas (It's small).

Please share more cheap or free ideas (My total money is $20)

Syele from New Mexico

Paint it a bright color.

You can use rit dye on white sheets for color. I use sheets for a lot of redecorating, I have made pillows, covered a tiny foot stool, covered a chair cushion, made valances, ect. For a lot of color you could do tie-dying on the white sheets with more than one color.

Since you can't paint the walls, how about painting the white furniture?

i would paint the furniture or at least add some paint trim to liven it up. also i would buy some 1.00 a yard material from walmart and make some pillows etc. another idea might be to post for colorful items on freecycle.

you could also add some color to your walls by using a colored light bulb. just a thought.

good luck.

Clock ideas: Add your clock movement to any of the following items: a CD, the box of a favorite cereal, album cover, photograph, cork board or lunchbox.

How about going with the chic look of black and white. Meijers department store in my area had a whole line of decor that was black and white, very pricey. All of which can be copied with some black paint. With the canvas comes to mind those black ink prints that you see in movies where the psyciatrist asks the patient what he/she thinks it is. This would be interesting conversation piece. New book from the library called Walls that Wow by Johnathan Fong talks about colored tape that can be applied (and easily removed) to walls to create stripes etc... One idea involves super sticky notes applied allover the wall. Looks great. Have fun.

I agree with Angelique. The black and white look is very attractive. I say paint the furniture black and maybe use the canvas as an "accent wall." Dye some of your linens black. To tie in the curtains, buy some matching fabric and use it around the room. You may even be able to find a matching dye to do accent pillows or something. Or do a completely black and white room with all bordeaux colored accessories: lamps, pillows, tablecloths, anything you can paint or dye.

Awhile back someone gave a cool tip that could work for you! Someone else also could not paint their walls so she took a colorful LARGE flat sheet and saturated it with liquid laundry starch, wrung it out (gently) and then smoothed it on her wall like wallpaper! When the time came to move I believe she misted it with water and pulled it off the wall with no damage. She probably had to wash the wall but that's a minor inconvenience. That information is on "Thrifty Fun" somewhere.

I love the black and white idea....but I would put something red here and there around the room...just a small amount. Try to take a picture to show us when you've finished....we'd love to see what you've done. I know you'll have fun creating your own environment!!! Another thing, this can be an ongoing project so you can add things to the room as you go.

Check out Goodwill, Salvation Army or St Vincents thrift shops. Great buys for little money.

Look over the mistint paints at Lowes, Home Depot, K Mart or any store... You'll be surprised at the paints people return to the store... I'd be tempted to pain the walls a shade of pink or dusty rose..

Add color to the white sheets by sewing ribbon across the top and some lace too if you like. Thrift stores are the way to go.

My sister took a sheet, bunched it up the long way, and hung it over a curtain pole over a window. It made a great swag.

Well, you should go to the craft store and buy some black and white roses for like 10 bucks. and you can spend the other 10 buying some hot throw pillows at the dollar store or a discount store. Or you could spend 20 bucks buying a cool lamp and a bead curtains from discount stores. Maybe add some pink in your new room by posting pic's of you and your friends in funky frames randomly around your room. Think you should really just use what you have and save your money up to buy what you really want for your room like maybe a cool 17 bedspread!