Creamed Peas Recipe

I have a favorite restaurant in the Jacksonville Florida area called "Jimmie's Buttermilk Chicken". They serve a wonderful (sweet) creamed peas as one of their side dishes. Does anyone have their recipe (or any real good recipe) for creamed peas (no potatoes, no mushrooms, no onions...)

Thanks!
Juana from GA

Best Answer

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 to 1 1/2 c. fresh new peas

* 4 tsp. butter

* 4 tsp. all purpose flour

* 1 c. milk

PREPARATION:

Cook peas in water 8 to 15 minutes; drain. Make a white sauce of butter, flour, dash of salt and milk. Combine Peas with White Sauce. Enjoy!

if you want to use canned peas, just add a little milk and thicken with cornstarch per the directions on the pkg for making gravy. fresh or frozen, cook in as little water as possible. after they are done add a little milk or cream and thicken with the cornstarch. butter can be added with salt and pepper. some folks like just a touch of sugar too.

Here's one that sounds just right.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/creamedpeas.htm

Creamed Peas

2 tablespoons margarine

2 tablespoon flour

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

good dash of pepper

2 cups frozen peas (use a 10 oz box, or measure 2-cups from a bag of loose frozen peas)

Get out a quart size sauce pan, or bigger. In it, melt the margarine over medium heat. Using a fork or a whisk, stir in the flour until it is smooth and lump free. Now very gradually stir in the milk. I use a whisk for this because it makes the work go faster. When the milk is well combined with the fat and flour, add the sugar, salt and pepper. Cook and stir the sauce until it begins to boil. Count to sixty, stirring it the whole while. Now add the frozen peas. Cover the pan and allow it to simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat. The peas should thaw and cook briefly, but not too much. Over cooking is ruin for this dish. It needs the peas to only barely cook, bringing out their freshest flavor. This recipe is easily doubled, as written it serves 4 to 6, depending on how much the family likes the peas. Some folks add 1/2-cup of shredded cheese to this dish, but I don't much like it that way. Still it is an option worth considering for persnickety eaters. These may be served on top of baked potatoes for a nice vegetarian main dish. Simple but good.

I loved this recipe for creamed peas, I always make this as last dish to cook, so it will be so fresh. Reminds me of recipe my momma used to make when I was small.

Creamed Peas
Creamed Peas Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat SidesJune 29, 2006
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
making creamed corn
Creamed Corn Recipes
Freezing Black-eyed Peas
Freezing Field Peas (Black-Eyed Peas)
Freezing Peas, Frozen Peas
Freezing Peas
🎉
🎄