Reuse Plastic Bottles Instead of Buying Ice

I recycle plastic bottles by filling them with tap water, freezing, and then using to line plastic grocery bags when I go on a picnic or long car journey. Food and other drinks stay cold and you have extra water for emergencies or to save on buying junk drinks en route.

By Joan from Geneva, Switzerland

This is not a safe practice. These bottles have recyclable symbols on them which means they are not fit for reuse because of chemicals leaching out of them into our food and water, whatever we put in them.

First off, reusing plastic bottles for ice cube that just get refrozen is perfectly safe. As for drinking out of them, perhaps not but keep in mind what we breath, eat and drink is all hazardous. I keep frozen bottle in the car for picnics then throw them back in the freezer when I get home.

Personally, I sometimes think that the industry just wants us to go out and purchase more water or drinks so I take the warnings with a grain of salt.

But, if you are afraid of reusing them for water/drinks, keep these tips in mind:

Fill with beads and bright things, seal with crazy glue, and give to your cats.

Cut the bottle in half and use for funnels. Cut it at an angle and use it for a scoop with the cap on.

Use them for crafts, hardware, medical things, and more.

September 20, 2010 Flag

When we purchase soda in the small plastic bottles, 16 or 22 ounce size we always keep the bottles and wash them out. If we go fishing or take a small road trip to my mother in laws house that is 4 hours away we always freeze two of the larger ones and put water in the smaller ones and fill a small cooler with them. Our water is great and it keeps us from spending too much on extra soda. We are trying to drink more water.

Also, when we purchase soda in the 2 litre bottles we keep a few of them to freeze and put into the bottom of our big cooler for when we go camping. No money spent for ice to keep things cold. And no mess.

By RoseMary B.

Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Better Living Frugal Living TipsSeptember 20, 2010
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
🎉
🎄