Clean Used Engine Oil Off Tarmac

Does anyone know a cheap way to remove used engine oil from tarmac? Our old car had a leak (now fixed) and there's a big black mark we need to get rid of in our parking space.

If there's no cheap way, whatever works would be great. Apart from a pressure washer as we don't have one. And please tell me the product ingredients and not the brand name if you're not in the UK.

Thanks

Have you tried using regular table salt? I have been told that it will absorbe oil and with a large continer of it costing less than a dollar at most stores it may be worth a try. Please note that you will need to completely cover the oil mark with salt, not just sprinkle it on. Leave the oil sitting for awhile and then just sweep it up. I hope that this helps. It may not take care of a true stain, but it should at least absorbe any excess oil that is still there on the surface.

I've used 2 liters of coke to clean engine oil off the driveway before - worked well for me - it was concrete.

dry cement powder will sometimes work, too

My landlord used clumping kitty litter in my driveway. Spred it thickly, about 1/2inch, and just left it for a week or so. Then they swept it up and hosed it off.

Just go to any automotive parts store and tell them what you want. They will tell you which brand of "Sorb-All" is currently on special or in fashion. It is usually about a quarter the price of kitty litter.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

We have a liquid dishwashing product called DAWN, it was used when there were tanker crude oil spills to clean the wildlife that got caught in it. Maybe you don't have that but you may have a dishwashing product that would compare.

I ordered ProActiv Solution for my teens to try and all it did was bleach our face and hand towels, but it did take the stains off our driveway as well. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix!

try cat litter, spread it over thr stain , scuff it around wirh your feet...it works in my garage

Hi. My husband is in the military and fixes jets. So he's pretty familiar with cleaning up spills on the tarmac. He says the gov uses cat litter first to absorb what they can. Then you should use DAWN dishwashing liquid to clean any residual mess. The gov uses it as well just under a different name. Good luck with it.

Hi SUzanne again. Hubby says if this is an old stain and has been set for a while then you'll need to go to a hardware store and buy a chemical product call TSP (trisodium phosphate). It should be with the painting supplies. Put it on the stain and let it set for a few minutes. The take a broom or scrub brush and work it in. Then spray off with water. He says that's what they use on the real nasty stains. So brilliant. Hope it works for you. Good luck.

Tarmac Driveway
Cleaning Tarmac
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoJanuary 22, 2005
Motor Oil on Concrete
Cleaning Motor Oil Stains From Concrete
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎉
🎄