Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Yellow Stains on Vinyl Floors from Area Rugs

How do I clean yellow stains off a vinyl floor caused by area rugs?

Lauri from Pottstown, PA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jessica (Guest Post)11/23/2008

I tried baking soda and it worked. All you have to do is wet the surface and apply the baking soda and leave for at least 10min and remove it with a cloth and the stain is gone.

By BC (Guest Post)04/03/2008

The yellowing on my floor is not caused from rugs and appears where most of the traffic is. Could this be caused by the rubber soles of shoes?

By Outraged (Guest Post)12/09/2007

It is ridiculous that rugs that cost less than $50 in most cases will be allowed to ruin $1000 to $3000 in flooring. I have also tried everything including sanding and nothing works. The only thing that seems to approach working is exposure to sun light. Another case of lack of regulation and letting manufacturers put out trash products at the peril of the consumer. It is a toss up as to who bears the most blame; the rug merchant or the vinyl manufacturer. Ops just does not cut it.

By Will (Guest Post)10/05/2007

The staining is most likely attributed to the antioxidants that are placed into the rubber backing to help maintain the rubber's integrity. Over time and exposure to UV and Ozone, rubber products can break down. (dry rot). The problem lies in that these types of chemicals are migratory and tend to leach into adjacent products such as vinyl. Once they migrate, they can not be permanently removed.

By (Guest Post)03/24/2007

I have this same problem, have removed rugs and they are not going away...Have tried bleach, different cleaners nothing works. Any ideas that would be helpful that would be great. I agree why would they make rugs that do this!!""

By Beverly Pennnington (Guest Post)01/18/2007

I have amber colored stains on my vinyl floor from the glue bleed through the surface. Can these be removed or lightened

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

I need some help. We moved into a new home a few months back and have yellow stains on the vinyl floor in the bathroom. The stains are under where the rugs lie. Please suggest something that will remove the stain.

Thanks.

Neela from Milwaukee

RE: Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

I have been told by the flooring manufacturers (and Heloise too) that this is a chemical reaction that cannot be reversed. (08/23/2004)

By Pat

RE: Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

This may work. It did for me; although it may depend on how long the stain has been there. I have wet the area and then put baking soda on the area and let it dry, then I washed it up. It may take a couple of applications. I use the baking soda every time I wash a floor and did that under the rugs all the time. It pulled up an orange tan color. It won't hurt to try. (08/23/2004)

By sshep

RE: Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

Strange, if this is a chemical reaction that cannot be reversed, then why do they make the rugs which cause this reaction in the first place? Isn't there another type of backing for bath rugs which won't cause this stain? (07/19/2005)

By Tom

RE: Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

linoleum is made from raw materials and oxidation of the linseed oil in the flooring will result in yellow stains in areas not exposed to light. i.e. under rugs. Once the mat is removed and the flooring exposed to sunlight; the yellow will disappear. (09/28/2005)

By Narilyn