Browsing: Removing Rubber Backed Rugs Stains on a Vinyl Floor

Yellow Stains on Vinyl Floors from Area Rugs

How do I clean yellow stains off a vinyl floor caused by area rugs?

Lauri from Pottstown, PA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have amber colored stains on my vinyl floor from the glue bleed through the surface. Can these be removed or lightened

I have this same problem, have removed rugs and they are not going away...Have tried bleach, different cleaners nothing works. Any ideas that would be helpful that would be great. I agree why would they make rugs that do this!!""

The staining is most likely attributed to the antioxidants that are placed into the rubber backing to help maintain the rubber's integrity. Over time and exposure to UV and Ozone, rubber products can break down. (dry rot). The problem lies in that these types of chemicals are migratory and tend to leach into adjacent products such as vinyl. Once they migrate, they can not be permanently removed.

It is ridiculous that rugs that cost less than $50 in most cases will be allowed to ruin $1000 to $3000 in flooring. I have also tried everything including sanding and nothing works. The only thing that seems to approach working is exposure to sun light. Another case of lack of regulation and letting manufacturers put out trash products at the peril of the consumer. It is a toss up as to who bears the most blame; the rug merchant or the vinyl manufacturer. Ops just does not cut it.

The yellowing on my floor is not caused from rugs and appears where most of the traffic is. Could this be caused by the rubber soles of shoes?

I tried baking soda and it worked. All you have to do is wet the surface and apply the baking soda and leave for at least 10min and remove it with a cloth and the stain is gone.

October 22, 2006 Flag

I need some help. We moved into a new home a few months back and have yellow stains on the vinyl floor in the bathroom. The stains are under where the rugs lie. Please suggest something that will remove the stain.

Thanks.

Neela from Milwaukee

Answers:

Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

I have been told by the flooring manufacturers (and Heloise too) that this is a chemical reaction that cannot be reversed. (08/23/2004)

By Pat

Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

This may work. It did for me; although it may depend on how long the stain has been there. I have wet the area and then put baking soda on the area and let it dry, then I washed it up. It may take a couple of applications. I use the baking soda every time I wash a floor and did that under the rugs all the time. It pulled up an orange tan color. It won't hurt to try. (08/23/2004)

By sshep

Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

Strange, if this is a chemical reaction that cannot be reversed, then why do they make the rugs which cause this reaction in the first place? Isn't there another type of backing for bath rugs which won't cause this stain? (07/19/2005)

By Tom

Yellow Stains on My Vinyl Floor

linoleum is made from raw materials and oxidation of the linseed oil in the flooring will result in yellow stains in areas not exposed to light. i.e. under rugs. Once the mat is removed and the flooring exposed to sunlight; the yellow will disappear. (09/28/2005)

By Narilyn

A rug sitting on a vinyl floor.
Removing Rubber Backed Rugs Stains on a Vinyl Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsOctober 22, 2006
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 19, 2016 at 2:18:27 AM on 10.0.0.148 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.