Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Canning Fruit Without a Canning Rack

I want to can peaches. I do not have a canning rack, but do a have large pot that holds seven 1 qt. jars perfectly and is deep enough to cover the jars more than 1 inch over the tops. I'm afraid the jars will crack over my gas burner. How can I improvise a canner so that I can can some peaches?

By Loretta B.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Tina [1]08/31/2011

I do not have a canning rack either. I use a washcloth and place it at the bottom of my canner and fill with water. This keeps the jars from coming in contact with the canning pot.

By Christine [2]08/25/2011

Make sure you have a thicker type kitchen towel on the bottom of your large pot, this will stop the jars from bouncing around as they process. Good luck!

By Elayne Mills M. [5]08/25/2011

Place jar rings up side down in the bottom of your preserving pot and it will do the same thing as rack. It does mean taking some of the water out after the preserving is done in order to remove the jars, but that water can be reused for the following batch. Be CAREFUL handling the hot jars. I always set them on several layers of newspapers until the have popped, and the jars are cooled.

By Thomas B.08/23/2011

I have seen my grandmother put towels or rags padding the bottom of her canner well, and rags between the jars instead of rack.

By leslie [14]08/22/2011

I do not have a rack for the stock pot which I use to can various produce with a water bath method. Mine also fits 7 quarts easily and I've never had a problem using nothing underneath the jars, though they do rattle a bit under a rolling boil.

By Elaine S. [39]08/22/2011

Cindy, Pat meant to put the jar rings on the bottom for a rack. I understand what she means. I think you thought she meant to put the jars in upside down? I am sure she didn't mean that.

By Patty [4]08/22/2011

I use a hand towel on the bottom and place 6 jars around the outside wall of the canner, then take a wash cloth sized towel and wrap the 7th jar (from the bottom, leaving it open on the top) and place that jar with the dish cloth around it in the center, cushioning it from the other jars. Fill with water and your good to go. :)

By Marylou Erickson08/22/2011

Do you have a metal (aluminum) pie pan? I'd turn it upside down put it on the bottom and go from there. You could try a couple jars to see how it goes. Good Luck!

By Cindy08/22/2011

I have never seen a canning book or recipe that said to put the jars with lids down in the water bath. You must be very careful with the lids to get the jar to seal properly. Also it will make it hard to remove the jars from the canner. I have heard of a lot of people using towels successfully.

By Patricia M.08/22/2011

Put jars on jar lids so they won't touch the bottom.

By Patty [6]08/22/2011

Put a dish towel on the bottom of the pot and them put your jars on top of it. It will keep the jars from direct contact with the heat. My mother used this method often, and I now use it too. It works.

By Elizabeth08/22/2011

Sorry about the double post.

By Elizabeth08/22/2011

I don't have a rack either and I put a heavy wash or dish cloth in the bottom of the pot then put the jars in and then the water. I have never had a problem. I have a hot jar lifter that I got at Ace Hardware and lift the hot jars out of the pot onto a towel to cool.

By Elizabeth08/22/2011