Browsing: Tips for Canning Fruit

Canning Fruit Without a Canning Rack

I want to can peaches. I do not have a canning rack, but do a have large pot that holds seven 1 qt. jars perfectly and is deep enough to cover the jars more than 1 inch over the tops. I'm afraid the jars will crack over my gas burner. How can I improvise a canner so that I can can some peaches?

By Loretta B.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I don't have a rack either and I put a heavy wash or dish cloth in the bottom of the pot then put the jars in and then the water. I have never had a problem. I have a hot jar lifter that I got at Ace Hardware and lift the hot jars out of the pot onto a towel to cool.

Sorry about the double post.

Put a dish towel on the bottom of the pot and them put your jars on top of it. It will keep the jars from direct contact with the heat. My mother used this method often, and I now use it too. It works.

Put jars on jar lids so they won't touch the bottom.

I have never seen a canning book or recipe that said to put the jars with lids down in the water bath. You must be very careful with the lids to get the jar to seal properly. Also it will make it hard to remove the jars from the canner. I have heard of a lot of people using towels successfully.

Do you have a metal (aluminum) pie pan? I'd turn it upside down put it on the bottom and go from there. You could try a couple jars to see how it goes. Good Luck!

I use a hand towel on the bottom and place 6 jars around the outside wall of the canner, then take a wash cloth sized towel and wrap the 7th jar (from the bottom, leaving it open on the top) and place that jar with the dish cloth around it in the center, cushioning it from the other jars. Fill with water and your good to go. :)

Cindy, Pat meant to put the jar rings on the bottom for a rack. I understand what she means. I think you thought she meant to put the jars in upside down? I am sure she didn't mean that.

I do not have a rack for the stock pot which I use to can various produce with a water bath method. Mine also fits 7 quarts easily and I've never had a problem using nothing underneath the jars, though they do rattle a bit under a rolling boil.

I have seen my grandmother put towels or rags padding the bottom of her canner well, and rags between the jars instead of rack.

Place jar rings up side down in the bottom of your preserving pot and it will do the same thing as rack. It does mean taking some of the water out after the preserving is done in order to remove the jars, but that water can be reused for the following batch. Be CAREFUL handling the hot jars. I always set them on several layers of newspapers until the have popped, and the jars are cooled.

Make sure you have a thicker type kitchen towel on the bottom of your large pot, this will stop the jars from bouncing around as they process. Good luck!

I do not have a canning rack either. I use a washcloth and place it at the bottom of my canner and fill with water. This keeps the jars from coming in contact with the canning pot.

Canned Apricots
Tips for Canning Fruit
Food and Recipes CanningAugust 19, 2011
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:14:32 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.