Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Pattern That Uses Men's Ties

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

By

By Patsy [5]05/02/2008

Martha Stewart had a special on using silk ties to dye eggs for Easter. The larger end of the tie can be used to make a holder for your cell phone, even to wear around your neck fashionably.

By suzi_homemaker01 (Guest Post)02/11/2008

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

By Cyinda [214]02/07/2008

I like the idea of "WEAVING" them back & forth, then sewing the sides (to hold then in place) then using them to make or cover a throw pillow... What a wonderful conversation piece for your bed or living room! ... I bet you could also make woven ties into square chair pads or even sew a table runner from ties that are sewn horizontally & every other one changes direction. GOSH! .. I never thought of using ties to decorate with before, but the idea sure is growing on me! ... You know, come to think of it, I wonder if you could put a spring-rod across a doorway (in a teenager's room) & hang ties from it to make a room divider, like we did with beaded curtains! This would work well especially in an older boy's room where beads might be considered to "girly"...

By (Guest Post)02/07/2008

go to crafster.org

By Carolyn Trezona [10]02/07/2008

I used my Dad's ties to make him a crazy quilted waistcoat. Just cut up the ties and crazy quilt them into fabric large enough to cut out the waistcoat pattern. Here is a photo of my Dad at my daughter's wedding. He passed away 4 months after the wedding.

RE: Pattern That Uses Men's Ties

By marsha02/07/2008

my mother-in-law used ties and made quilts from them. she would also make them into blankets and furniture throws bycutting them and sewing together and taking a sheet for the backing. She would wash them before she did any of this to see how they would hold up since some of the material should be dry cleaned - however there was never any puckering when washed after that good luck on any project you create from ties

By Ruth (Guest Post)02/06/2008

You could weave them together, like we did with paper in grade school, and then make a pillow or chair cushion.

By Cathy S. (Guest Post)02/06/2008

I had a friend who made a lovely skirt with neckties once. She measured the length of her skirt from the bottom ( wider ed) of the ties and cut the tops ( small ends ) off. Then sewed them all together somehow and put a zipper in and a lining. If you are handy you could probably figure it out. The end result was gorgeous!! I think you could even make a matching patchwork vest out of the scraps, including the labels.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]02/06/2008

There is a book out called (I think) "Daddy's Ties" and has various patterns for making things with neckties. I owned this book at one time and really thought I'd make some things with my husband's old ties and ones I'd purchased at garage sales but I never got around to it. I sold the book on ebay. It had patterns for a tree skirt, stockings and other neat things as I recall. You could probably find it at amazon.com

By Pat (Guest Post)02/04/2008

I took my father-in-law,s ties{He has passed away} and made them into a wall hanging. I cut two inch squares from different ties. Then I cut two inch squares from a soft cloud printed fabric. Then I ironed them in the pattern of his name on a graft fabric you can buy for "wartercolor quilting. {They will explain this to you at a quilt supply store} I then filled in the blank squares with the cloud fabric. After the ironing was done I turned the fabric over and made seams horizontally then vertically. They may have to explain this at the store. The hanging looks like a quilt. My mother-in-law has received many compliments on it.

By joan pecsek [88]02/04/2008

Put the following in your google:

things to make with neckties

You will get listings for pillows, quilts, a halter top, schoolbag, tree skirt, purse, etc....