Pattern That Uses Men's Ties

I am looking for a pattern to use my Dad's ties. If any one can help please let me know.

Lee from Paragould, Ar

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By joan pecsek 88 545 02/04/2008

Put the following in your google:

things to make with neckties

You will get listings for pillows, quilts, a halter top, schoolbag, tree skirt, purse, etc....

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Pat (Guest Post) 02/04/2008

I took my father-in-law,s ties{He has passed away} and made them into a wall hanging. I cut two inch squares from different ties. Then I cut two inch squares from a soft cloud printed fabric. Then I ironed them in the pattern of his name on a graft fabric you can buy for "wartercolor quilting. {They will explain this to you at a quilt supply store} I then filled in the blank squares with the cloud fabric. After the ironing was done I turned the fabric over and made seams horizontally then vertically. They may have to explain this at the store. The hanging looks like a quilt. My mother-in-law has received many compliments on it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,124 02/06/2008

There is a book out called (I think) "Daddy's Ties" and has various patterns for making things with neckties. I owned this book at one time and really thought I'd make some things with my husband's old ties and ones I'd purchased at garage sales but I never got around to it. I sold the book on ebay. It had patterns for a tree skirt, stockings and other neat things as I recall. You could probably find it at amazon.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cathy S. (Guest Post) 02/06/2008

I had a friend who made a lovely skirt with neckties once. She measured the length of her skirt from the bottom ( wider ed) of the ties and cut the tops ( small ends ) off. Then sewed them all together somehow and put a zipper in and a lining. If you are handy you could probably figure it out. The end result was gorgeous!! I think you could even make a matching patchwork vest out of the scraps, including the labels.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Ruth (Guest Post) 02/06/2008

You could weave them together, like we did with paper in grade school, and then make a pillow or chair cushion.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By marsha 02/07/2008

my mother-in-law used ties and made quilts from them. she would also make them into blankets and furniture throws bycutting them and sewing together and taking a sheet for the backing. She would wash them before she did any of this to see how they would hold up since some of the material should be dry cleaned - however there was never any puckering when washed after that good luck on any project you create from ties

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Carolyn Trezona 10 36 02/07/2008

I used my Dad's ties to make him a crazy quilted waistcoat. Just cut up the ties and crazy quilt them into fabric large enough to cut out the waistcoat pattern. Here is a photo of my Dad at my daughter's wedding. He passed away 4 months after the wedding.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 02/07/2008

go to crafster.org

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cyinda 214 1,287 02/07/2008

I like the idea of "WEAVING" them back & forth, then sewing the sides (to hold then in place) then using them to make or cover a throw pillow... What a wonderful conversation piece for your bed or living room! ... I bet you could also make woven ties into square chair pads or even sew a table runner from ties that are sewn horizontally & every other one changes direction. GOSH! .. I never thought of using ties to decorate with before, but the idea sure is growing on me! ... You know, come to think of it, I wonder if you could put a spring-rod across a doorway (in a teenager's room) & hang ties from it to make a room divider, like we did with beaded curtains! This would work well especially in an older boy's room where beads might be considered to "girly"...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By suzi_homemaker01 (Guest Post) 02/11/2008

I saw a chair once, like a ladder back chair with the seat part weaved out of neck ties. All of the chairs in this coffee house were different, so it fit in very well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Patsy 5 58 05/02/2008

Martha Stewart had a special on using silk ties to dye eggs for Easter. The larger end of the tie can be used to make a holder for your cell phone, even to wear around your neck fashionably.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No