Removing the Back Tire on a 1988 MTD Riding Mower

My right back tire is flat, I took off the screw, but can't pull off the tire. Is it supposed to come off from the front of the wheel? In other words are the things that look like washers just frozen because of rust? Or does it pull off from the back of the tire?

By Linda W. from Salt Lake City, UT

I have a John Deere but I believe removing the rear tire from your machine would be the same. The wheel is held on with a snap ring. You will need a special pair of pliers to remove the snap ring. You should be able to buy the pliers at an auto store. The ring looks like a washer except it has a piece cut out and two holes drilled into the washer near the opening. The pliers have two prongs that fit into the holes. Squeezing the pliers expand the ring so you can remove it. You could also visit a riding mower repair shop and they will help you. They should be listed in the phone book.

I'm having trouble putting the front tire back on a riding lawn mower which has a snap ring type thing on it but it dose not have any holes for the snap ring pliers. It looks like it should snap on if you push it but there is not room to push it and I didnt take it off so I dont know how it came off just trying to use the mower, i tried using a washer on the outside just to push it on but didnt work. anysuggestions? I have never worked on anything before just learning and need to get it on Thanks frustrated

Don't think that has a snap ring if not lots of pb blaster and I hooks an good size puller

Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 21, 2011
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Flat Tire
Repairing a Flat Tire
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 11:35:06 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.