Too Many Toys?

A wise friend once told me when my children were young that the best solution to constantly picking up toys was to go through the toy box and pick out toys to pack away for later and narrow down the choices the child has to make. Trust me it works!

I passed this tip down to my daughter for her young son, when she too got tired of picking up toys. There are so many nice crates nowadays at a reasonable cost. When you pull out a toy, pack away one or two that he seems to be bored with. It is exciting to the child and a little less work on Mom. Too many toys to choose from is overwhelming to a small child and they naturally play with them only for a while and eventually toss them aside.

I now babysit for a 3 year old granddaughter and tried this again to see how it would work. I found a little kitchen at a flea market and cleaned it up and bought the little plastic foods and dinnerware. She'd outgrown the "Baby Days" toys so I packed them away and brought out the new one. She loves to play cooking and we have meals and tea parties for fun. She feeds her dolls as well.

The point I am making is: too many choices are mind boggling to a child as well as to an adult. Think of it, you know how it feels to go to a crammed closet and try to choose what you really want to wear, yet you really don't want to get rid of the extras you don't need. Make it easy on both of you. Moms: reduce and recycle toys. Trust me, it works!

By Sharon from Ravenna, KY

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY SON WHEN HE WAS LITTLE. HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD (ONE OF THE TRUE ADHD CASES) AND WOULD SCATTER STUFF ALL OVER THE PLACE. FINALLY I LIMITED TOYS. HE WAS ALLOWED 5 TOYS OUT AT A TIME. WHEN HE WAS DONE WITH ONE IT WOULD GO BACK INTO THE BOX. NO OTHER TOYS WOULD COME OUT TILL AT LEAST AN EQUAL NUMBER WAS PUT AWAY. AT THE END OF THE DAY NO STORY TIME TILL ALL TOYS PUT AWAY. IT TOOK AWHILE BUT FINALLY WORKED. IT HELPED HIM I THINK WHEN HE GREW UP CAUSE LET ME TELL YA HIS ROOM IS SPOTLESS!!

great idea! now if i could only get his grandparents to stop buying him so many toys to begin with...

I make my kids help me pick up their toys we sing the "clean-up song" I did take 1/2 there toys away also before birthdays and Christmas we go through the toys together and get rid of a bunch of toys and donate them to a local thrift store. My kids have no problem getting rid of some of there toys and if they do fuss I hold up 2 toys and say which one do you want to keep. They also understand that a kid that doesn't have any toys will be getting them!

I put toys in two big plastic tubs and mark a date three months from now on duct tape on the top. When these toys come out three months later, the kids play with em like they are new again! When these toys come out, others are put in their place in the tubs and then they disappear into the garage for three months. This system really works. I also only buy toys that have been reviewed by other parents on http://www.ParentsBestToys.com. I let someone else test drive all the toys and only buy those that I am sure will have long lasting play value. No more junky toys!!

August 6, 2008 Flag

Keep the toy box fresh and "new" for your kids, and have fewer toys to clean up. You can do this by putting away half of their toys. When they tire of the toys they have out, begin to rotate the toys by putting a few "new" ones out and tucking away some of the toys they have been using for another time.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

I also do this with my dogs' toys. Every couole of months or so I pick up all their toys except one or two of their favorites, and switch them out from a bin where I keep the rest of them. Sure saves from buying new ones every time I turn around!

Now the only times they get actual "new" ones is on their birthdays and Christmas!

I used to do the same thing. I now have grandchildren, so it was a long time ago. I would fill a paper bags with pop-it beads, another with doll toys, etc. After a number of months I would take them down and the kids were thrilled. They acted as if the toys were new. Then I would put away different bags of toy for awhile.

Children's Toys
Rotating Your Child's Toys
Parenting Toddler and Preschooler ActivitiesApril 18, 2008
A young girl playing with a toy train.
Tips for Choosing Eco-Friendly Toys
Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
yellow dog toy
Keep Pet Toys from Getting Lost Under Furniture
🎄