Cleaning with Denatured Alcohol

can of denatured alcohol and terrycloth rag
A methylated alcohol that has ethanol added to make it foul smelling and unappealing to ingest. This is a guide about cleaning with denatured alcohol.

Denatured alcohol (paint/hardware dept.) will remove Sharpie and other inks from most surfaces (haven't found one it won't work on yet). Put it in a spray or squeeze bottle, spritz it on the mark (it doesn't take much) and wipe off. Repeat if necessary.

I use it a lot at work and have gotten it on me with no weakened or fade-out spots on my jeans, scrubs, or work towel. These have been washed 100+ times so I would definitely test it on color-fast materials or carpet first to make sure.

It will also dry moisture quickly. I use it in my shower and on my windows before I put on suction cups or stickers and will also help in the removal of the glue that stickers leave behind.

By Handy Sandie from Tallapoosa

For glass and mirror cleaning; would denatured alcohol work just as well as rubbing alcohol?

By Rhonda from Napa, CA

Anonymous

You can but it would be better for your lungs to use distilled vinegar and water solution. ;-)

I toss rubbing alcohol into the vinegar and water solution. It makes the glass/windows/mirrors SHINE.

Yes, just use 1/2 denatured alcohol and 1/2 water; it makes an excellent glass & mirror cleaner.

When I worked as a paperhanger, I often ran into the cleaning crew on new homes. I was hanging some wallpaper and noticed that when I rinsed the paper around a window, it left absolutely no streaks on the window, amazing because my water wasn't that clean and I wasn't drying the windows, either. I asked the cleaning lady what she used and it was 1/2 denatured alcohol and 1/2 water, she said rubbing alcohol just wouldn't work as well. I've used this ever since.

Anonymous

It works best.

I have a spot on a microfiber couch. The company told us to use denatured alcohol with a q-tip on it. Does anyone know if this works and how you do it?

Mariann from Weirton, WV

Regular alcohol works great. I just pour a little on a terry cloth (for the roughness) and it removes most anything, even ball point ink.

I've heard this also, but can't find it to try it. What do you mean by "regular" alcohol? Do you mean "rubbing" alcohol? Thanks!

Check out this blog. She cleaned crayon off her microfiber sofa and says she cleans all kinds of stains with alcohol on her sofa. Pictures included too!

http://www.thri  n-off-couch.html