Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

If you get a chigger bite, take a oatmeal bath. It really works. Thanks!

By Jason from Vineland, NJ

I use the acne treatment medicines Neutrogena Body Clear lotion is great . Or use. the cleansers it helps reduce itching and swelling.

I have chigger bites all over my ankles I have tried everything. I came on here to see what I can use. I will write back more later to tell you what works the best.

I made a trip to Oklahoma as a teen and learned what chiggers were as well as the correct term for fireflys, "Lightin' Bugs"! LOL ! I never heard of the bleach solution before. My aunt ran a bath for me loaded with salt and that took care of the problem for me. As far as the "skeeters" go I dab a bit of ammonia on the bites and voila, no more itch. I have purchased commercial products for mosquito bites and primary ingredient is ammonia. Have a good summer!

Gale from Ca.

I made a trip to Okalhoma as a teen and learned what chiggers were as well as the correct term for fireflys, "Lightin' Bugs". LOL! I have never heard of the bleach solution before. My aunt ran a bath for loaded with salt and that took care of the problem for me. As far as the "skeeters" go I dab a bit of ammonia on the bites and voila, no more itch. I have purchased commercial products for mosquito bites and primary ingredient is ammonia. Have a good summer!

Gale from Ca.

A substance just like bleach is in swimming pools, and you can disinfect drinking water with a few drops of bleach, so I support this advise. Never thought of it.

A week ago I went to a park in Texas. I was walking outside while a man was mowing the grass and there was pollen floating everywhere. After the park I went home and I forgot to take a shower since I felt passed out. Next morning my leg, ankle, hip, butt, and underwear line was itching like crazy. They ended up being those darn chigger bites! I went searching on Internet to find a solution to help with the itching. I tried almost everything that they said would help. Nothing did! My mom finally helped me. I want to share this with you because this really works!! Put ice.... Yes, ICE!!! First take a shower to rinse and clean. Apply ice on the itching bump and hold it there for a min or 2. It will numb the itch. Do NOT scratch! Do not touch. Make little movement. If it itches again, do it again. It works:) you can also try putting Carmex or hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide will only bubble if your bleeding.

It helps for a little bit also if you get aloe like you use on sunscreen, and then itching cream, and putting that in a bath. I used this and it works really well. Also just putting the aloe on helps, not as well as the bath, but it still works.

October 18, 2010 Flag

What do you do for chigger bites? The itching is horrible.

Esther from Hanover, PA

Answers:

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I use the acne treatment medicines Neutrogena Body Clear lotion is great . Or use. the cleansers it helps reduce itching and swelling

(07/16/2007)

By Jeff

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

The best OTC remedy I've found is the products for "feminine itching", like Vagisil or Walmart's much cheaper version called Vagicaine Cream (around $1.50/tube). It has 20% Benzocaine, more than the stuff made for bug bites!

I also keep a prescription Cortizone cream around, which helps in the long term, but the other stuff is instant relief.

We have a big chigger problem here in Oklahoma and my son is allergic to them(the little buggers like to get into his underwear and chew on him!) and once even had to have a week of oral steroids from chiger bites.

The itching doesn't usually happen for about a day AFTER you get bit, so if you wait for the itching before doing something, it's harder to treat. It's easier to stop the itch from happening in the first place. To do this,use a mild bleach solution. It seems to work for mosquito bites too.

It takes very little bleach, if I can barely smell it, that's usually enough. When my kids have come in from a day of playing outside, I mix up bleach water and have them wipe themselves down before they shower.
Whenever I've been out in my yard, as soon as I come in, I mix a couple of drops of bleach in a cup of water,wipe my legs and feet down with it , then wipe it off with a damp paper towel.
If I know I have been bitten by a chigger or mosquito, sometimes I just get a dab of straight bleach on my finger and apply it directly to the bite and let it dry.

We have been plagued every year with chiggers. They really like me and my boys. My reactions are usually nickel to quarter size itchy spots that stay for weeks even if I don't scratch. Since we've been using the bleach method, we haven't had even 1/4 of the problems we usually do! A Boy Scout leader told me the bleach kills the enzyme in the chigger saliva that causes the itching. (07/16/2007)

By lyonpridej

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

We seem to get into them at least once a year too... the thing that works best for us is to put some crisco in a baggie and some salt. Squish it together then rub some on the bites. The salt feels like you are scratching and the crisco stopped the itch. (07/16/2007)

By jrmkbrown

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I know this sounds Crazy! but, I learned in college that is you put a bit of CLEAR nail polish on the bite, the air can not get to the bite to make it itch...Yes, I know, it sounds Crazy, but it works.

Good luck (07/20/2007)

By Sherri

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

What really works is Preparation H. (07/20/2007)

By Elva

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

There is something available at the drug store called chigger guard. here we have to ask for it at the counter where the druggist is. I am from the south and they are a big problem here.The bottle is small and I think it's a little high in price. But believe it or not CLEAR NAIL POLISH is the same thing only bigger bottle and cheaper. WORKS REAL GREAT! my husband just had them from the tips of his toes to the tops of his legs some on the behind and belly.he was almost solid bites. Really works great but don't put on personal areas. (07/20/2007)

By Emma

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

The best thing is the nail polish. Paint over the bite to cut off the oxygen supply to the chigger. It may take a couple of days - it will work. You may already have nail polish at home, sure clear is the most desirable. Any nail polish will work for you. (07/21/2007)

By SAATellite

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

good old vinegar will stop the itch and also Milk of Magnesia is wonderful too. (07/21/2007)

By sweet GA peach

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I have tried the nail polish, vaseline, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion and even athletes feet spray for the chigger itch. I have over 100 bites on my feet and legs and have itched them til they have bled and I know I am working on an infection if I don't stop it. I have had these little boogers for 4 days now and its so annoying. I just scratched them raw and pored vinegar over them and that seemed to soothe my itching for now. Everyone is different and treatments vary but I believe if you rub them raw and pour something that stings over them and let it burn them cover with clear nail polish that you will get relief for several hours. (07/22/2007)

By

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

Go to DOCTOR I moved from CA to MO years ago and got chigger bites my first summer and the
prescription lotion was a God send. That lotion worked for YEARS.
(07/22/2007)

By meoowmom

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

When I was little, my brother and I used to get the chiggers @ my grandmothers lake. The only thing that worked for us was taking a shower/bath with Fels Naptha soap. It's made by the Dial Corp. and is usually found near the laundry soap. Then she'd have us rub calamine/caladryl lotion all over the spots. We looked like we had the chicken pox w/the pink spots all over, but it helped.

Hope all the info helps! They are no fun to have! (07/23/2007)

By Vikki LaPierre

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

Vinegar after a hot shower does seem to help for awhile, but usually I have to apply clear Benadryl gel (available over the counter) to the worst areas. You only need a small amount of gel. Since Benadryl is absorbed through the skin, they warn you on the bottle not to take any oral forms of Benadryl while using the gel. It can make you a little groggy, so I do it at bedtime. The itching seems to not bother me the next day, until I get another dose of chigger bites. (08/05/2007)

By Butch

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

A chigger digs into your skin and lives there for days, weeks or months. If you put clear nail polish on chigger bite overnight, it will kill the chigger and stop itching. (08/19/2007)

By

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

After wasting my time in the ER at Tampa General Hospital I was fed up with my beautiful itch. I had at least 200 maybe 300 bites from chiggers the best thing being that I'm allergic to all insect bites is take a hot shower and apply Cortizone-10 all over your bites and then let that dry then every bite put a good sized amount of clear nail polish over all your bites the itch will be gone. Then when it comes back later you can either reapply the nail polish or apply the cortizone-10 which helps the best. Take over the counter Benadryl as this will help with the itching, and reduce your swelling, but it will make you tired. Normal pills are like 10mg 15mg. I was prescribed 50mg tablets and told to take 2 every 6hrs as needed. So i bought a pack of benadryl and dosed up to get to the 50mg. i took 3 benadryl regular tablets and that helped me sleep with out scratching.

Now for all the old wives tales out there the so called chigger bug or red bug whatever you want to call it, doesn't live in your skin. It feeds on the host for 3 to 4 hrs, then drops off. No chigger can rebite. Once it has feed, if it falls off. That the end of it,s life. If it doesn't get full, the bug will die. The bug has a saliva that has powerful enzymes that break your skin down to liquid. The redness and hardening of this bite allows it to form a tube like structure to suck the liquefied skin, just like us sucking on a straw to get a drink.

The itching is caused by the enzyme and the tube structure getting air. That's why all the remedies people pasted are true. You are blocking the hole from getting air, which in essence stops your itch. My best advice to all of you, is do what i said up top of this message. I promise you will be very pleased go out walk around the block, read a book find your self keeping active and you will forget they are there. It all a mental thing. If you don't scratch, your body won't say "hey I'm itching". Try my remedy. I've told friends about my remedy and all have said it works. All of this stuff shouldn't cost you more than $20.00. good luck.
Sincerely. Jason K. (11/30/2007)

By Jason From S.Tampa,Fl

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

Try A+D gel. It didn't seem instant to me but after about 5 to 10 minutes, the itch seemed to be relatively gone. Luckily for me I have a brother with tattoos so I had some handy. (06/09/2008)

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

The best remedy for chigger bites is prevention. If you are going to be in a chigger infested area, wear appropriate clothes (not sleeveless shirts, shorts or sandles), and dust the openings (leg and waist) of your clothes with powdered sulfur (also known as "flowers of sulfur") which can be purchased at pharmacies. Yes, it stinks, but this is about the only prevention product out there that is tried and true. Here is a link to a Missouri Department of Conservation article that backs up this advice. http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/.

This article acknowledges several of the remedies posted here but in fact, the only true remedy is time. When the chigger bites, the body reacts by hardening the cells around the bite area. These hardened cells become the chigger's feeding tube. Though the chigger will be long gone, the itch will remain until your body has reabsorbed these cells.

I suggest that you read the article, its a solid page long and very imformative. Having grown up in central Missouri and spending a lot of time in the woods and tall grasses, sulfur is, by far, the best prevention product. And once bitten, thorough washing and standard itch remedies, plus time, will heal all wounds. Enjoy the outdoors and good luck.

(07/09/2008)

By Mo_Sal

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

Me and my fiance just recently moved to South Carolina. I have in the past recieved a few chigger bites, butt nothing like what we are going through this last few days. We have tried just about everything with no relief. If someone could come up with something that stops the itch, they would never have to work another day in there life. We both have decided that we will never touch another blade of grass again. I wouldnt put this on my worse enemy. The best thing that worked for us is Desitin cream (08/18/2008)

By bill

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I was working on a cabin in Missouri and received over fifty chigger bites. Having no fingernail polish , I used PVC glue on the bites. It stopped the itching in a few minutes and didn't come off for two days. It really works great.

Editor's Note: I don't think that I'd recommend using this unless there is nothing else available. (08/28/2008)

By Larry

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I have chigger bites all over my ankles I have tried everything. I came on here to see what I can use. I will write back more later to tell you what works the best. (10/09/2008)

By Rhiannon B

July 16, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 18, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
🎉
🎄