Protection and Treatment for Insect Bites

I got bit by some little red ants about two weeks ago, they are now infected and look horrible. What can I put on them to heal?

By Jessica from Lubbock, TX

I am being bitten by what I think may be fleas. They are painful bites causing swelling and itchy at the site. What can I use or do to protect me that is non-invasive, as well what to I put on them now that I have been bitten. The bite and itch last a long time.

Please don't try and doctor them yourself. You shouldn't have waited two weeks. Go to the nearest hospital emergency ward to get treatment ASAP. Ask the hospital for a referral with either a dermatologist or allergist.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest emergency room now and especially since they are infected! This is nothing to play around with! Among other things, you can get Cellulitis, which is a staph infection, that spreads inside your body and can cause damage to internal organs and possible death! Never, ever wait to get medical attention when there's any infection!

I would go to the doctor with these, but if they are not as bad as they sound, perhaps an antibiotic salve from the drug store would aid the healing. Ask the pharmacist for a recommendation.

I'd try aloe vera. Go to a health food store and inquire. By the way, I'm your neighbor it seems. Live in Lubbock also.

Make some poultice of Epsom salts. This helps draw out the poisons and heal. Just spent a month with hives that looked like chicken pox. Found the ES was the best pain reliever, itch reliever, detoxed the poisons from the system. The doctors added steroids, etc but they did not do what the ES did. I got antibiotics too. Make sure you check with the doctor on the full body infection that can come. 4 year old had severe bug bites the that swelled the size of soft balls. Started ES and went to the doctor who said to stay with the soakings and if not better, call back for med instructions. He thought the ES would work fine. And it did.

July 31, 2010 Flag

I have flea bites on my ankles. I need something good for the itching. I have tried anti itch medicine and I take Benadryl, but it makes me go to sleep.
Any other suggestions?

By momssspecialangel from Parkersburg, WV

According to the television show, "The Doctors", if you make a paste of aspirin and rub it on the bites, it takes away the sting and itch. Crush an aspirin and add a drop or 2 of water to make a thick paste and apply as needed. (09/18/2009)

By catastrofy

I do not know how this will work for flea bites, or mosquito bites, but we were in our spot that we call a garden, and my husband got a couple fire ant bites. I remembered the things we had found that responded to Listerine mouth wash, including repelling mosquitoes. I suggested that he put some on the fire ant bites and the burning went away, with no swelling or redness to follow. The ant had done the bite, and was working on the stinging part, which is the really painful, and long-lasting part of a fire ant encounter. This was just another use for Listerine. (09/19/2009)

I have used plain white toothpaste on my granddaughter who is very allergic to any bite. It keeps the swelling down and she doesn't seem to itch. Also, a banana peel will take care of the fire ant bites, just rub the inside of the skin on the bites and you will not get the pustules or the itching. It also takes the sting out if you do it immediately. Hate those buggers! I also made a paste of baking soda one night when she awoke scratching with a very bad rash. It stopped the itching and she was able to go back to sleep. (09/19/2009)

By HalfWhit

I have always been susceptible to bug bites; mosquitoes, fleas, chiggers, no-see-ums, you name it and they bit. The best after-the-bite remedy I have found is Walgreens hydrocortisone 1%. I put the tiniest dab on the bite and that's the end of it. If I "think" before I go out, I rub Skin-So-Soft on and the no-see-ums will not bite. Also, to prevent chigger bites, put soap lather on your ankles and lower legs and let it dry. This was a must do before going blackberry picking. (02/19/2010)

By clynnaltemus

September 16, 2009 Flag

Tips for preventing and treating insect bites. Post your ideas.

Flea Bombs and Flea Baths for Pets

You don't say where you got them. If your pet has fleas, a dip is a great idea. Probably needs to be repeated in a week or so. Fumigation of the house at the same time is in order. You can buy cans of bug bomb. Do this twice also. If animals are confined to the yard, there is a spray for the yard.

Meanwhile, take large doses of Vitamin C. Take a pill or two each hour until the itching stops. Then you can cut back a little while they heal. (05/20/2005)

By Barbaral

Aloe Vera and Vitamin B-1

Aloe vera right from the plant or purchased in a bottle (use plain aloe vera) works good for bites, also take vitamin B-1 daily, it seems to respell biting insects. (05/21/2005)

By Anna

Pan of Soapy Water

You can set a pan of water (like a round cake pan or pie pan) with dish soap on the floor with a light shinning in it at night, the fleas will go to the light and jump into the pan, they can't get out and drown. (05/21/2005)

By regena

You didn't say where you live, or if you had recently moved, but if you have carpet that's probably the culprit. I ran into this in CA. When an apt I moved into proved to have sand fleas in the carpet. The management had to remove the carpet and fumigate the apt to get rid of them. You also may be having an allergic reaction to the bites.

By ThriftyFun

Diazanon and Nail Polish Remover

My husband was a flooring contractor for many years. When he would encounter a flea or roach problem, the best treatment was Diazanon, which thankfully was a treatment given to us by a professional landscaper. It's fairly inexpensive since a small bottle, which can usually be purchased for about $5 at a K-Mart or WalMart, and then dilute it.

As far as the itching, the best remedy in the world for any itching due to bites is just a tiny dab of nail polish remover applied with a Q-tip to the bite(/b). It will sting a little for just a sec but will completely stop the itch IMMEDIATELY. This works great for chicken pox and hives too, without any side effects, because the amount you're using is too small, and is basically acting as an antihistamine. (05/23/2005)

A teen age friend gave me this tip to stop the itch of an insect bite. Simply rub a small amount of toothpaste (not gel) on the area. So far it has worked every time.

By Aprilmay (07/20/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Chemical: Diazonon

I agree that Diazonon; is the best! But, here in Canada it has been taken off the market. Thank goodness I was able to purchase a large bag of granules before it was taken off the shelf. It is the only chemical that I have found to effectively kill ants. If you can still purchase it where you live, great! (07/20/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Meat Tenderizer

Use a paste of meat tenderizer and water. Put on any insect bite several times until itching stops. This will work very well. The bite will flatten out within minutes and the itching will soon stop. Always keep some handy in your kitchen. Works great! (07/20/2005)

By Dee

As a small child, I found out placing a small amount of my saliva (spit) on my finger and then on the itch from the bite caused it to cease itching. Don't know why this works and it only works if you don't scratch it first. Just intuitive I guess. (07/20/2005)

By Joan

Editor's Note:

People have mentioned that putting scotch tape on the bites helps. (07/16/2007)

I too had been attacked by sand fleas. I can hardly stand the itch. It kept me up awake at night. I researched all the remedies. I tried Cortisone, Benadryl, nail polish remover, even Purell to stop the itch. Nothing worked. I saw Aprilmay's suggestion of putting toothpaste (not gel) on my itch. Amazingly it worked! Thanks I was able to get some sleep. (08/01/2007)

By sunset

I would just like to say that the scotch tape does not work for me. However, I do have a very bad reaction to insect bites, they get very large red and itchy. Nail polish remover helped a little, and toothpaste helped a little. I am going to also take an antihistamine pill, because I know that will help a little. Hopefully anyone out there like me with bad reactions to bites will find some of this useful. (02/09/2008)

By mandy

Salt Granules for Bites

I was SO tired of flea bites from my yard years ago and making scabs from the scratching, I decided to wet my bite area and put Salt on and rub to relieve the itch so my skin wouldn't get scabbed. To my amazement, the itch and flea bite went away in 5 minutes (mosquito bites take about 10 min). I have never had another scab from scratching those kind of bites again. In summer it's a good idea to carry salt packets with you when going on an outing. (06/12/2008)

By Elly

I recently played sand volleyball with a friend and have well over 60 bites on my feet, ankles and legs. They itch so bad that even taking two Benadryl, I could not fall asleep. My friends dad is a nurse and said to take Zyrtec (it has a different compound than Benadryl) and to rub cucumber slices on it. I haven't done the cucumber slices yet.

I have done a combo of:
Zyrtec (amazing)
Hydricortizone cream
spray on Benadryl
Oatmeal bath

Working together they keep the itch down. Just try not to touch them otherwise it can become more irritated. (09/02/2008)

By Kelly

Neem Oil or Powder

check out Neem oil or powder all natural stuff Neem/coconut oil:mosquito repellent

By viv

Try applying juice from a small piece of cut onion (applied at least 3 - 4 times day) at least for mosquito bites. It works great! The more often you apply, the sooner the bite disappears (usually in a few days). (06/19/2009)

By ShelliM

I've recently found an instant solution to insect bites. My fiance has been overwhelmed with insect bites that develop into severe welts accompanied by itching which is almost unstoppable. I'm a believer in the baking soda, vinegar, Benadryl remedies, but all had virtually no effect. I remembered my [automotive] vacuum pump and within 1 minute, the insect venom was removed. No venom = no welt, no redness = no itching. So now I take it with us in the car and apply immediately when finishing our walk. The insect injects and I remove.

By Cajun62234

Home and Garden Pest Control RepellantsJuly 31, 2010
What is This Insect?
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites