Grocery Shopping Tips To Save Money

My grocery shopping is always a chore. We used to spend two to three hundred dollars a week for a family of five. I resolved to cut that back now that I have only one kid at home. I only go grocery shopping every two weeks. I go online to see the specials at the local grocery stores to decide which one I will shop at this week. I plan my list around their sales and my coupons. The best thing I discovered is the printable shopping list that the online sites provide. Then I divide the list into categories by sections of the store. Fruit/vegs, meat/lunches, cans/boxes, frozen/other, and dairy/bread. I then make sure I have all my coupons ready to look at if I have any questions once I find the product. If I plan ahead, I can get in and out in less than a hour and save up to 50% on my total shopping.

But, the best way to save money is to bring cash. I bring $100 with me and know that I can't spend more than that. I keep track of the cost of each item -rounded to the next dollar- as I put them in the cart. My 4 year old has even learned to check the price of anything he wants me to buy. If my total gets close to the $100 and I am not finished, I take out all extra items I have picked up, and stick to the essentials. I have saved sooo much money. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I love to see how much I can save. I usually need to go to the small market near my house in between the big shopping trips, but I only spend about $30 or so. I hope this helps someone else. Believe me, I don't miss all the junk food, chips, and processed foods I used to buy.

By Carrielee from New Hampshire

Well, I think you're one of the sane ones!