Grocery Shopping Tips To Save Money

My grocery shopping is always a chore. We used to spend two to three hundred dollars a week for a family of five. I resolved to cut that back now that I have only one kid at home. I only go grocery shopping every two weeks. I go online to see the specials at the local grocery stores to decide which one I will shop at this week. I plan my list around their sales and my coupons. The best thing I discovered is the printable shopping list that the online sites provide. Then I divide the list into categories by sections of the store. Fruit/vegs, meat/lunches, cans/boxes, frozen/other, and dairy/bread. I then make sure I have all my coupons ready to look at if I have any questions once I find the product. If I plan ahead, I can get in and out in less than a hour and save up to 50% on my total shopping.

But, the best way to save money is to bring cash. I bring $100 with me and know that I can't spend more than that. I keep track of the cost of each item -rounded to the next dollar- as I put them in the cart. My 4 year old has even learned to check the price of anything he wants me to buy. If my total gets close to the $100 and I am not finished, I take out all extra items I have picked up, and stick to the essentials. I have saved sooo much money. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I love to see how much I can save. I usually need to go to the small market near my house in between the big shopping trips, but I only spend about $30 or so. I hope this helps someone else. Believe me, I don't miss all the junk food, chips, and processed foods I used to buy.

By Carrielee from New Hampshire

Well, I think you're one of the sane ones!

A woman speaking to a clerk at the grocery store.
Grocery Shopping Tips
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingOctober 11, 2007
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Woman leaning on her cart thoughtfully at the grocery store
Frugal Tips for Grocery Shopping
Grocery List
Creating A Grocery List
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
🎄