Storing Fresh Garlic in the Fridge

I love to cook with fresh garlic, but I never used it often enough so my garlic would spoil before I could use it up. The cloves would sprout and/or dry up in the cupboard, even when I used those pottery pieces designed to store garlic. Or they would go moldy and/or sprout in the fridge in a plastic bag or a container.

One day I wrapped my garlic (unpeeled bulbs and/or cloves) in a DRY dishcloth (tight weave, not a crocheted one) and stuck it in the fridge. I was hoping that the cloth would absorb any excess moisture while still keeping the garlic from being exposed to the light and the air. It worked great! This makes my garlic last forever without sprouting, drying out, or going moldy. I just keep it in the dry cloth, in the door of my fridge and use a clove when I need to. I was surprised how long the garlic lasts. I haven't had to throw away any garlic since I started doing this.

By Oberhund from Regina, SK

What I do is take the whole bulb of garlic, peel it and chop it in the food processor. Then I put it in a freezer zipper bag and flatten it out thin inside the bag. Once it's frozen you can break off any size piece of the garlic. You don't lose or change any of the taste.

Thanks so much for that great idea!

I grow garlic so have lots to deal with. To store I peel and puree with some oil- about 1/4 oil to 3/4 garlic. I put in jars in the freezer make sure to label! I keep one jar in the fridge. Just scoop out what you need, start out with a little you can always add more.

I store mine in the freezer and it never goes bad.

I've had the same problem. I'll follow this tip now. Thanks!

Storing Garlic
Storing Garlic
Food and Recipes StorageApril 21, 2008
Garlic Dip Recipes
Garlic Dip Recipes
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Fresh Garlic
Substitutions for Fresh Garlic
Garlic Butter
Garlic Butter Recipes
🎉
🎄