Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

I have white kitchen units with black counter tops. I am looking for a suitable colour for the walls. I don't get a lot of sun in the kitchen and don't want to make it appear darker. Any ideas?

By Bex from Ireland

You could go with a golden tan that brings in a hint of yellow or do sage or celery and go green, both will lighten the space.

Thanks Allison, actually have green on the walls at the mo but think it's the wrong shade!

My friends were horrified when I told them that I was painting my kitchen walls bright pink, but now they absolutely love it! Pink with black and white would give a retro 50's look. Dare to be different!

Paint it a satin gold or amber color. I actually know someone with these exact colors in her kitchen and it looks fantastic!

How about a cantalope or honey dew color? An aqua would also be nice. Good luck!

Personally I am a big fan of yellow, not orange yellow like school buses but a clear, bright yellow like summer sun. depending how much wall space you have to cover, you could do a couple of shades, one lighter than the other, on opposite walls and if you like yellow.

I think a tera-cotta would be awesome.

I am thinking either a baby powder blue, or a light gray which would pick up the black.

I painted my kitchen 'Halo Yellow' which is a very pale yellow, and it is beautiful. It is like a creamy whitish-yellow. It will brighten your kitchen as well. I wish I could remember the brand, but I know it was a common brand, Behr, etc.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll let you know how I get on. :)

I would love pale green for most of the walls, with a deep gold as an accent color.

My kitchen is kind of campy. I have newer green countertops with like a marble mixture look to them. My cabinets are pine and I want to paint those white.

My question is would beige walls look OK with white or country white on the lower part of the wall with black trim? I think it would look more modern. I also have slate tiles as my backsplash. I have no idea what to do for colors. It doesn't get a lot of light so I wanted to brighten it up. Any ideas?

By Linda

Answers:

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

I think beige would look great with your existing color scheme. It would definitely brighten it up a bit. If you not into the beige, even certain blues would look great in you kitchen! Please post pictures when your done. I'm very curious to see how your kitchen turns out! (07/25/2010)

By maggie1016

What wall color will brighten a kitchen that has a dark oak floor, medium oak cabinets with stainless steel appliances? There is not a lot of natural light. I can't use yellow, it covers every other wall in my house.

Kelley from Burlington, NC

Answers:

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

I love turquoise, the 1950s shade. (03/24/2009)

By MartyD

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

Sounds like a Tuscan gold would look very nice with dark and medium oak. (03/26/2009)

By patom

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

How about the Scandanavian look: blue, yellow, and white to perk up the room. Walls blue, yellow, and white curtains and/or accessories. (03/27/2009)

By mklema92658

I have a kitchen that doesn't get much natural light. It has quite a large window but the previous house owners blocked the natural light by building a sun room on that side of the house. What are good color choices to paint the kitchen to brighten it up?

Currently it is all that nasty boring cream/off-white color with the cabinets the same color. I'd like a feature wall one color and the other walls more neutral and the cabinets painted as well. Any color suggestions?

Jennifer from Winnipeg, MB

Answers:

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

Yellow is always a good color to brighten things up. White, of course, works well with it, but you can also use light blues or greens nicely with yellow. Maybe one wall a light blue or green, the rest yellow with white cabinets, with blues/greens as accent colors. Good luck.
(03/16/2009)

By Bonnie V

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

I wouldn't mess with painting your cabinets unless they are in bad shape to begin with. Have you considered wallpaper? There are some delightful refreshing, colorful patterns. Very simple, to bold. Keep your light background, with the color coming from the design. You can easily find something that goes with the rest of your home's decor. It will add depth to your walls and keep it bright in the room. (03/17/2009)

By EGGZ

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

I love yellow, it is cheerier in my kitchen and then my hubby bought some borders to go around the top of the ceiling. (03/20/2009)

By dietvanilla

Paint Color Ideas to Brighten Kitchen

Think of spring colors, bright and light; yellow, green or blue. (03/23/2009)

By mklema92658