Strategically Place Note Pads as Memory Aids

To remember things you want to do, keep a big pad on your desk and one near your chair where you set in living room. I also keep a pad for a grocery list, sometimes just watching TV I think of an item I need so I write it down. I also take Ginkgo for memory, it helps.

By K.W. from Dothan, AL

Great idea. You must be very organized.

I couldn't live without post-it notes! I'm so scatterbrained (from fibromyalgia) that I can't remember to look at my to-do list (!). So I write things on post-it notes, and place them in places where I'll encounter them: On the bathroom mirror, my computer monitor, the microwave, even the front door (if it's something I need to remember as I leave the house).

Post-it notes rule! :-D

I always keep an on-going grocery list of items that are needed. Grrrr.....so many times I get to the grocery store and my well organized list is sitting on the kitchen table!

I have fibro fog days, too. The best method I've found for myself is to have an ongoing To-Do list. I just write each thing on one line, whether its a big job or small and cross it off when it's done. I do not remove the page until they are all done. I use a small 3 ring binder that has pockets on each side. You could use a large 3 ring binder, instead, of course. If a To-Do is generated from seeing an ad, or article on a place to visit that I haven't seen, or instructions to make "something", those generators go in the pockets.

If a project needs to be broken down into steps, i.e. bring photo album up-to-date, I put a * by the original To-Do, then * the next page in the binder. I put the number of the original task and name of the task at the top of the page, and set out the steps for that task. This is essentially making another To-Do list from the original entry. Sometimes the fibro fog only allows me to think clearly for a short time but I can easily find my way back to the detailed list by this method so that I can complete the detailed list at another time/day.

The 3-ring binder has a hallowed space on my desk! I never remove it so that I don't lose it and always know where it is. I can identify with not remembering to look at the list. But since it's had a designated resting place and the self-imposed rule of never, never moving it, I no longer have those times of wondering how best to use my time if I happen to have two whole days to devote to a project. Or that extra 30 minutes I didn't expect to have.

I hope my fog hasn't gotten in the way too much for you to understand my method. Hopefully it may help you, too.

BTW, I use the same method for my grocery list -- only this one goes on the fridge in the same place, never, never removing it until the designated shopping day when I put it in my purse in the a.m. (And my purse, of course) is in it's designated place by the door.) I use a very fine marker to write with because ballpoint pens tend to quit easily if not held at the angle we usually use when writing on paper.

And that marker has a piece of velcro on it to attach to a piece of velcro on the fridge by the list papers so I don't lose it.

Fibro fog can be soooooo inconvenient but there ARE ways to beat it instead of letting it beat us.

Sorry this got so long.

I tend to write lists, but forget to take them shopping with me! So I now think of the items I need and relate/make a connection between them; IE, a few weeks ago I wanted apples, onions, sage garlic, bread and meat, also pens! so I 'connected' them; apples taste like onions wrapped in sage, rubbed with garlic to stuff the meat, which will bleed like ink form a pen all over the bread. OK it doesn't make sense, but I can still remember the list weeks later! (I got this from Derren Brown's book, tricks of the mind - a good read!)

A numbered to do list on paper.
Staying Organized With Lists
Organizing Memory TricksFebruary 20, 2009
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
A woman laying awake at night.
Homemade Sleep Aids
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
A senior man wearing a hearing aid.
Hearing Aids for Low Income Seniors
🎄
🍂