Smokey (German Shepherd Mix)

contest winner icon

Smokey is a 10 year old German Shepherd mix. He was abandoned. When my husband went hunting and he was walking down a hill to go to the cabin, Smokey jumped out at him. It was dark and my husband thought he was a fox or coyote. At the time, Smokey was only a pup, about 6 months old. So for the next two weekends when my husband went down there, Smokey always followed him to the cabin.

The third weekend, he told his brother-in-law, if that poor pup is back again, I'm taking him home. Smokey came back for the third time and was looking in the cabin window. There was a lot of snow, more than 4 feet and the poor thing was freezing and starving. So he brought him in the cabin gave him a can of Chunky soup, gave him a bone and laid on the floor of the cabin with him. My husband took the bone away with his own mouth to see how Smokey would react and he did nothing. No growling, no biting, he was very gentle and just let him take it. My husband knew for sure he had a wonderful temperament and brought him home. He has been a blessing to our family now for 10 years. We love him dearly.

He loves to play ball, tug of war and go for walks and loves to be loved. Yes, I submitted his photo to our local TV station on a segment called "Stormy's Pets" and they picked his photo along with a little detail on how we got him. Then without me even knowing, I submitted another different picture of him to different TV station. it was Smokey and my grandbaby Emma Grace. Smokey was eating an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen and they picked that photo and aired it. The only way I knew was because my nephew was watching, so he called me to tell me. I didn't get to see that airing.

By Koren

Absolutely gorgeous dog and good for your hubby for taking him in. You should be very proud of him.

my goodness, he looks just like our Biscuit did... we lost Biscuit at the age of 7, and would of been 10 now.... she was a wonderful girl and smart. I would love to have her yet but can not believe that Smokey looks just like our Biscuit did. Biscuit was part Lab, Chow, and German Shepard. They could be twins.... if for some reason you ever need to get rid of Smokey, we sure would love having her . You have a keeper... thanks for sharing.

Gorgeous dog and a great story. Animals are great.

What a wonderful story and Bless your hubby for rescuing Smokey!

Look at that beautiful, intelligent face! How could anyone abandon him? Maybe he just got lost? Either way, he was just waiting for his family-you -to find him. What a sweetheart you were blessed with!

Thanks for sharing your story and photos. What a beautiful dog!

You can see the sweetness in his eyes! Thanks for sharing!

Very alert and a beautiful thick coat. He's awesome!

Pets Pet PagesNovember 10, 2010
German Shepherd
German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos
Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Skinny German Shepherd Laying Down
Skinny German Shepherd
🎉
🎄