Mascara Tip

Recently, I purchased a new mascara. Immediately I realized I didn't care too much for the brush in it. I kept the old mascara as well. I now take the old mascara's brush and insert it in the new mascara, just long enough to get it coated and then re-insert it in the old container. It's good for a couple of uses. But I'm able to get the "right" amount of mascara on my lashes using the old brush, it's better than getting all those terrible globs of mascara while using the new mascara and its brush.

By Terri H.

That's a terribly bad idea for health reasons - all the germs that are on your old mascara brush have now been put into your new mascara and contaminated it, you are greatly increasing your chances of getting an eye infection. Mascara should be completely thrown out after 3 months of use - sooner if you suspect contamination - do not save the brush for using on your eyes again!

If you want to still be frugal, you could wash the brush and use it for other things - like cleaning those little nooks and crannies around the house.

You might want to be careful doing this. Bacteria can build up in mascara (bacteria you don't want near your eyes). By swapping brushes between mascaras, you're contaminating the new mascara with any bacteria that might have accumulated in the old. And if you keep doing it with successive mascaras, you'll have one nasty germy mess.

Way to be thrifty, but be careful. Mascara wands are notorious for being germ magnents. You should never keep mascara longer than 3 or 4 months and by using the old brush in the new bottle you're exposing the new bottle to the germs of the old!

Terri, you should always discard brushes from used mascara. Bacteria are introduced into the container from your eyelashes and flourish in the moist environment. That is also the reason why you should never share mascara with someone else.

I hope this helps.

hi terri, for over 20 years i have wiping off my mascara brush before each use with a few sheets of scott toilet paper no other, which doesn't break down like the others and leave paper on the brush. i wipe it until i feel i have the right amount on the brush. and it is just great i have taught my daughters too. i have never gotten infections from the mascara brushes that i have used over and over and over again. i guess some people are sensitive. i have been using mascara for over 30 years. just dont poke your eye out! you can clean your old brush and leave it out of the container if you really prefer that one and just clean it after each use. with the scott toilet paper.

If you really love that mascara brush and just can't bear to part with it, I would wash it really well with soap and water, then soak it in peroxide or alcohol then wash it again. This should kill any carryover bacteria.

Mascara Tips and Tricks
Mascara Tips and Tricks
Uses for Mascara Wands
Uses for Mascara Wands
Open tube of mascara with brush prominent.
Saving Money on Mascara
Sports fans drinking at a sports bar.
How Much Should You Tip at a Sports Bar?
Removing Mascara
🎉
🎄