Freezing Homemade Foods for Wedding

Can I freeze homemade coconut macaroons and homemade fudge? My daughter is getting married in February and I'm doing the catering for 150 people. Things like chicken turnovers, rice balls, dips and sweet stuff. Most of the savories can be frozen but I don't know if I can freeze little cakes and other sweet things. Please help. I'm doing it single handed and I need to pace myself!

Cettina from Malta, Europe

I'd say yes you can. Just take ALL the air out of the bags you freeze them in. The Zip-Lock company now makes a wonderful little gadget that attaches itself to their own brand of special baggies that sucks the air out & forms a vacuum. If you have the money or can borrow one you should invest in a "Seal-a-Meal" or even better, a vacuum unit. Also, I'd not freeze anything for more than 2 months & try to keep it at only one month if possible.

I've had experience in freezing many things including cookies, cakes & casseroles of many kinds & before my son's cousin's mother died of cancer she spent the time cooking for her family & freezing all her family's special meals & treats along with attached directions on how to thaw & reheat the food. They told me they gratefully ate her tasty homemade cooking for over a year after she died.

My mom always used to freeze fudge and it tasted great.

Yes, most cookies and cakes and fudge can be frozen. Cookies can be stored in plastic tubs, like Tupperware. If things have icing, you just have to be careful that when you defrost it so that the icing doesn't stick to the wrapping.

Things that you bake and freeze now will be fine in Feb.

What I've done in the past is to make a lot of miniature popovers. These freeze very well. You can add whatever whets your imagination.

You can use chicken, tuna and egg salad-for desserts whipped cream and other tasty items. And yes, you can freeze fudge. As others have stated, simply wrap well.

I hope the wedding turns out lovely!

Thank you all so much. Your very welcome advice is just what I needed to know. Now I can carry on with my baking and freezing so that by February, it will all be done and I wont need to panic. Thanks again.

How brave of you, have you tried a website that will help you with all types of things such as this. This site helps you to do food prep for large crowds.

Yes you can freeze. Just be careful with chocolate icing. Icing can get white when defrosting so what I do is will make everything up until the frosting freeze and the day before take them out frost them and put them in fridge.

Good luck

Food and Recipes Freezing DessertsNovember 7, 2008
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Homemade wedding favor.
Homemade Wedding Favors
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors