Gift for Patients at Nursing Home

I really need input ASAP. I work at a nursing home and I really want to make the holidays extra special for all. Not everyone has family so not everyone gets a Christmas gift. I want to get something for everyone. I was going to get a big screen T.V. but the nursing home just bought one. I will be raising the money and I will guess an amount around $800-$900. Please give any ideas. I am looking for one big gift if possible but any input would be great. Thank you! Melissa

Melissa from PDC, Wisconsin

Best Answer

i think that idea posted of the "old time movies and favorite stars " is a wonderful idea! ebay sellers often list those old classics in lots. and sometimes the video store have old movies they sell on a table for $1.00 each. they would love actors like Jimmy Stewart, Betty Davis, John Wayne. You could even have mens night & ladies night movies. other thoughts are a buying the old music tunes from there days gone by and play them aloud through a intercom for all rooms to hear or even get the bible on cd stories to play the same way. You could ask the staff to do this on certain days at certain times. Music is soothing especailly the kind they use to listen too. You could ask there familes of each person what type music or singer they use to listen to in years years already past so you could have a varity. And not everyone that age can read the bible or get the chance hear it read to them, so the bible on Cd played would give them that joy as well. What about investing in good books to from long ago and have appointed days that you come read to them in groups. your very thoughtful to want to bless them with your gift of giving no matter what you pick.

Best Answer

My grandmother was in the coolest nursing home. They had large fishtanks with beautiful fish. The nurses would park the people in wheelchairs in the hallway for a little while so they could look at the fish and talk to one another. Also so they could watch the visiting children ooh and aah at the pretty fish. These were very large, beautiful tanks like you might see in a seafood restaurant but with colorful small fish. The other awesome thing they had in the halls were super fancy handmade bird habitats. The bird enclosures looked like china cabinets. They were nice wood and glass and there were nests in there made out of some kind of natural fibers and the birds slept in the nests that were attached to the back wall of the cabinet. I think the guy that built them also maintained them but I'm not sure. I think most people love animals. Maybe you could see about getting some rabbits and put the hutches in a common garden area outdoors. I think hummingbird feeders outside the room windows is a good idea too. First you have to think about how people live before they have to go to a nursing home and then try to make it as much like home as you can. Just as a side note maybe you could invite moms to bring their babies in to visit with the older folks. People like to look at babies and same with dogs. Ask the local shelter to bring some well behaved small dogs over for a visit. Everyone loves furry animals! Those are my thoughts. Have happy holidays! Lara

Many of the residents like my big, sweet, German Shepherd, too. The dogs don't have to be small, just clean and well-behaved.

Best Answer

I work in a nursing home and they all fight for the news paper. We have a copy of 3 different local papers, but it seems they are never enough. A years subscription to local papers will be used every day of the year. Better yet, spend some time there every week and discuss the news too! Company is 1st on everyones list.

When I used to visit my grandmother in a nursing home the patients were always complaining about the movies on TV -- they definetly do not like today's movies! They were very nostalgic about the movies from the golden age of Hollywood. Why don't you get them a DVD player and a collection of DVD's? Bring up the topic of old time movies and favorite stars and get some ideas. Good luck! You're very sweet to be so thoughtful.

Another thought. Does the nursing home have cable? If not, maybe you could get them hooked up for that.

How about an X-box or playstation?

That is so incredibly nice you. If you are looking to make some $, why not put an ad on Craigslist and post donations for a Garage Sale. If I saw an ad, I would definitely bring items for a donation!

What about an electrical massage chair? I really like Lara's idea of a fishtank. They are incredibly soothing to watch and low maintenance. Bless you. Sharon

What about going to some area churches and see if they would like to get in on your plans. They could get together for game night or something; or getting a dog or cat to live in the home. Animals can do special things that people can't.

The DVD player and old movies is an excellent idea. Also

Blockbuster has a plethora of old movies, maybe Netflix

does too. 'Movie Night or afternoon' w/some refreshments

would certain allay some of the tedium & give residents

something to look forward to IMO.

Old movies and television shows on DVD (like I Love Lucy, etc.). A collection of large-print books would be nice for their library.

these are all great reader submitted ideas ! What thoughtful folks!

I like the visits by the pet shelters & the fish tank & the church group visiting to play (maybe sing too?!)

It sounds like they are well cared for where they are (sadly & oddly -in some places,some aren't) & very much loved --

The only thing it would seem to be needed from my point of view would be that that TLC continues throught the year & not stop when the Holidays are past !

Perhaps some DVD's and a player for the group? Magazine subscriptions that can be read by everyone.

You are getting many good gift ideas. Don`t forget to get them all a Christmas coloring book and crayons. Have a group come in and sing.

Buy the best computer you can find--for the nursing home residents and set it up so they can use the internet. EVEN if the nursing home has one already, it is probably outdated, and they can always use another in a different floor or section. Computers are ESSENTIAL to nursing home residents. People do not realize that. But that is the truth. Write to us for updates on the latest at nursing homes onenewbeginning @ yahoo . com

Scarfs, Socks. Most Elderly Residents Like/NEED these items. ONE size fits all. Under $5 each. Every Resident can have a gift to open of their very own.

In my local Super Grocery Store, they recently had a bin with lots of odds/ends of scarfs. I managed to get 50 of them varying from $2-$3 each. and the Activities Director approved it for the budget. Start looking for the deals around town. Good Luck!!

Fish in a fish tank?

Elderly man receiving a birthday gift
Nursing Home Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Gifts ChristmasNovember 6, 2007
Man and elderly father
Father's Day Gift Idea for Nursing Home Residents
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas
Elderly Woman doing needle work
Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients
Row of Wrapped Gifts
Gift Ideas for Seniors
🎉
🎄