Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

I heard mayo and raw eggs mixed together and left on unwashed hair for 45-60 minutes will leave your hair healthy and shiny. Does this work?

By Suzy from Ventura, CA

By dana10/05/2010

Acid solutions like vinegar or lemon juice shrink and harden your hair's cuticle cells. This causes the cells to lay flat and well-aligned, causing a better reflecting surface. As a result hair starts shining. So if you want your daughter's hair to shine, try this: Squeeze a lemon into a mug of water or add a tablespoon of vinegar to a mug of water, and give your daughter's hair a final rinse with this solution. (Don't wash off.)

Egg is excellent for hair. Not only is it a great conditioner and nourisher, but it also increases shine. Apply egg to your daughter's hair once a week, and wash off after half an hour with cold water.

Mayonnaise, which is made of oil, egg and vinegar, is also excellent for the hair. In addition, mayonnaise also helps getting rid of lice. Lice breathe through their legs, and applying mayonnaise blocks their air passage, suffocating them. You may not be able to get rid of nits (lice eggs) in this manner though. Make sure you keep checking your child's hair regularly for lice.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]01/28/2010

Yes it works well. At age 17 the day of the dance I used over one cup of mayo on my hair. It was hard to wash out and that night my hair still smelled like mayo. I even used dishsoap to try to get out the goo. However I had the softest shiny hair.

I would just use a bit of mayo with nothing else. I buy African Oil at WalMart it is for hair, body, face & hands and works miracles.

By tricia minter [11]01/24/2010

It is a great conditioner for hair but you don't need the eggs. They are already in the mayo. I used to use it every week when I had very long hair. I still use it several times a year. I have always been accused of using the new hair shiners on the market now, but I've never used them. I believe from my experiences that is helps cut down on split ends also. It has been a hair staple of mine for over 30 years. I swear by it.

By OliveOyl01/08/2010

I don't recommend mayo or egg for hair. They are pretty hard to rinse out of the hair. You wind up using shampoo to remove them, thus negating any conditioning effects. Better to buy a cheap drugstore conditioner, apply it, cover with a plastic bag and leave it on for a while.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get your hair the shinest it's ever been and to get it to feel great, it is very good to put mayo on your hair and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. But, you must completely rinse it all out. If you don't your hair will be more greasy than John Travolta's in "Grease" and it will smell like my grandma's potato salad. So be careful and I hope my tip will help.

By Jenny

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

If you have oily hair try using a can of flat beer instead. It gives you the shine without the greasy effect of the mayonnaise. (10/04/2004)

By Suzanne S.

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

For a better result smash a ripe avocado and blend it with mayo. (05/25/2005)

By Cece

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

It is a great tip, but not for baby fine, slightly oily hair. The vinegar works better, but I have never tried the beer. I have mixed feelings about that. (05/17/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

I am African American and was wondering if the Mayo would work on my hair type as well?

Editor's Note: It should work on your hair as well. (05/05/2007)

By Sybil K.

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get rid of the smell, you should add about tablespoon of imitation vanilla/vanilla extract and an egg. It works just the same, and it smells like ice cream. (07/12/2007)

By Julie

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

Wow, I did this last night. Except I kept it on my hair for 3 hours. It worked wonders. My hair is overly processed and really dry. Not anymore. Shampoo'd it out, then used conditioner like usual and the results were worth the trouble. The trick is to wrap your head with a plastice grocery bag, put a paper towel underneath by the nape of your neck to catch the oil that drips, then wrap a towel around the bag like a turbin. (07/18/2007)

By Audrey

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

I've tried the regular mayo, but couldn't deal with the smell. Now I use use organic root hair mayonnaise and it works great. It's non-greasy and no smell. Works wonders on overprocessed hair. (07/18/2007)

By Sue

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

After reading all these posts, I thoroughly expected this trick to work. It didn't. My hair looks and feels exactly the same, if no frizzier. I did exactly what people said to do so I'm a bit confused. Does it only work on certain hair types? I have normal thickness, brown hair. (08/01/2007)

By Jen

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

Do not use light mayo, use real mayo. Best Foods is best, it is the cholesterol in the mayo that makes the difference. Yes, vanilla extract works for the smell, but don't use a lot, the alcohol in the extract counteracts the cholesterol. Another option is to mix fresh egg and olive oil to make homemade mayo. Only use this if you have thick coarse dry hair. It may make thin hair oily. Attached is a picture of how shiny my hair got after using it. (12/05/2007)

By GES.

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

At Wal-Mart today I bought Hair Mayonnaise: olive oil, egg, and other oils, but it smells great. It's worth the extra dollar. (05/13/2008)

By Erica

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise really doesn't work. It just makes your hair stink. I tried it and if anything it made my hair worse. Regular heat treatments once a month and taking care of your locks such as using protection when heat styling and getting a trim every month does the trick. It does with me anyway. (07/12/2008)

By Mandy

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

I mixed 1 tbs of mayonnaise with a about 2 tbs of my conditioner and kept in in for about 15 mins. I have very dry and brittle hair and was desperate for something so I took a chance when I used the mayo. Needless to say my hair is shiny and doesn't look so brittle anymore. (08/21/2008)

By Leonie

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

This is an old hair conditioning style, African Americans have been using this for years to strip perms. It works, my aunt would mix it with an egg and honey and press our hair when me and my cousins were young we had long black shiny bouncy hair. She also used beer as a conditioner. I forgot about this technique until now. Organic Stimulator has a hair mayo, but nothing beats home made. I am using honey, mayo, and olive oil to grow back my hair. Damaged hair needs moisture and these three are bound to work. Thanks for the reminder. (09/24/2008)

By Tonya

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

You should really put mayo only at the end of your hair. Trust me just leave it for 40 minutes. Now you'll get that shiny hair. (10/10/2008)

By Lyn

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

Fried my bangs, left mayo on overnight and now my bangs are much less fried. It didn't strip out the red hair color I just put in the same day either, but I did use a permanent dye. (01/26/2009)

By Sonja

RE: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise = WORKS

I tried this thinking it couldn't hurt as my hair was totally fried from bleach. It got to the point that after washing and conditioning, I couldn't get a brush through it to dry it. It felt sticky and stretchy so I had to rough dry it and tie it up.

I only had Mayonnaise Light, so I added some Olive Oil and mixed it up. I wet and dried my hair, slapped it on and left it for about 1 and a half hours. Washed it out, shampooed it twice and used my normal conditioner. I used my normal style protector spray before drying and it was easy to get the brush though it. It still needs a trim and the ends are still ever so slightly fluffy, but it is 80% better than it was.

Can't believe the amount I have spent on intensive conditioners in the past when I have had this in the fridge all this time. While I was sat there with mayonnaise on my head I thought I might as well put on a face mask. So I went to the kitchen and mixed up some porridge oats and honey and covered my face, neck and chest. I used it as an exfoliator when I washed it off. My skin was glowing and soft. It's unbelievable how good these cheap treatments are. Totally recommend them. (08/07/2009)

By Goldenbadger

Blahh, Head lice.

I'm currently using this treatment in my hair as I discovered I have lice. Apparently it works. I've read a lot about cold water so I guess I'll do that. Wish me luck and I'll post a response with the results. (08/20/2009)

By smashcash

Archive: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get your hair the shiniest, it is very good to put mayo on your hair and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. You must completely rinse it out! If you don't it will be more greasy than John Travolta's in 'Grease' and it will smell like my grandma's potato salad! By Jenny

Archive: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get your hair the shiniest it's ever been and to get it to feel great, it is very good to put mayo on your hair and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. You must completely rinse it out. If you don't your hair will be more greasy than John Travolta's in "Grease", and it will smell like my grandma's potato salad. So be careful and I hope my tip will help.

By Jenny