Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I heard mayo and raw eggs mixed together and left on unwashed hair for 45-60 minutes will leave your hair healthy and shiny. Does this work?

By Suzy from Ventura, CA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By OliveOyl 602 01/08/2010 Flag

I don't recommend mayo or egg for hair. They are pretty hard to rinse out of the hair. You wind up using shampoo to remove them, thus negating any conditioning effects. Better to buy a cheap drugstore conditioner, apply it, cover with a plastic bag and leave it on for a while.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By tricia minter 24 47 01/24/2010 Flag

It is a great conditioner for hair but you don't need the eggs. They are already in the mayo. I used to use it every week when I had very long hair. I still use it several times a year. I have always been accused of using the new hair shiners on the market now, but I've never used them. I believe from my experiences that is helps cut down on split ends also. It has been a hair staple of mine for over 30 years. I swear by it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,777 01/28/2010 Flag

Yes it works well. At age 17 the day of the dance I used over one cup of mayo on my hair. It was hard to wash out and that night my hair still smelled like mayo. I even used dishsoap to try to get out the goo. However I had the softest shiny hair.

I would just use a bit of mayo with nothing else. I buy African Oil at WalMart it is for hair, body, face & hands and works miracles.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By dana 1 10/05/2010 Flag

Acid solutions like vinegar or lemon juice shrink and harden your hair's cuticle cells. This causes the cells to lay flat and well-aligned, causing a better reflecting surface. As a result hair starts shining. So if you want your daughter's hair to shine, try this: Squeeze a lemon into a mug of water or add a tablespoon of vinegar to a mug of water, and give your daughter's hair a final rinse with this solution. (Don't wash off.)

Egg is excellent for hair. Not only is it a great conditioner and nourisher, but it also increases shine. Apply egg to your daughter's hair once a week, and wash off after half an hour with cold water.

Mayonnaise, which is made of oil, egg and vinegar, is also excellent for the hair. In addition, mayonnaise also helps getting rid of lice. Lice breathe through their legs, and applying mayonnaise blocks their air passage, suffocating them. You may not be able to get rid of nits (lice eggs) in this manner though. Make sure you keep checking your child's hair regularly for lice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Stephany F. 1 06/13/2015 Flag

This is how it looked like when I used mayonnaise.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get your hair the shinest it's ever been and to get it to feel GREAT, it is very good to put mayo on your hair and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. BUT, you MUST completely rinse it ALL out! If you don't your hair will be more greasy than John Travolta's in 'Grease' and It will smell like my grandma's potato salad! So be careful and I hope my tip will help! By Jenny

Archive: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get your hair the shiniest, it is very good to put mayo on your hair and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. You must completely rinse it out! If you don't it will be more greasy than John Travolta's in 'Grease' and it will smell like my grandma's potato salad! By Jenny

Archive: Shiny Hair with Mayonnaise

To get your hair the shiniest it's ever been and to get it to feel great, it is very good to put mayo on your hair and let it set for 10 to 15 minutes. You must completely rinse it out. If you don't your hair will be more greasy than John Travolta's in "Grease", and it will smell like my grandma's potato salad. So be careful and I hope my tip will help.

By Jenny