Inexpensive Ideas For Wrapping Large Present

My friend is getting married and we are giving them a new TV. I am in charge of wrapping and bows. How can I do this inexpensively. I know that wrapping paper is really a waste but it is also part of the culture.

I know the groom would really like the paper that you can plant because it has seeds in it. I can't afford that. The TV is in a box, but I don't know how big it is really. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sandy from Baltimore

Newspaper? Or perhaps the glossy store ads that get inserted with the Sunday paper (and which don't have so much ink that can rub off)?

If you know another person is planning to give them towels or sheets or blankets, try wrapping it in those.

Or, if you are able to get access to their home or apartment, set up the box or just the TV itself in the living room with a large bow (no other wrap).

-tj

I have used vinyl tablecloths, either fabric backed or just solid vinyl. Solid white would probably be the most attractive with a huge colored bow that would match the "wedding colors". Another choice could be fabric....some stores sell the wide {60 ")polyester fabric for $1.00 a yard..........or you might be able to buy a king sized white or pastel flat (or top) sheet for a few dollars. Maybe a butcher shop/meat market might sell you 5-10 yards off their roll of white "butcher wrap" paper. These are just some ideas....hope you find something that will work for you.

I'm sure a couple of rolls of wedding paper at the local Dollar Tree....Just wrap the sides and top. If you want creativity...any and all newspaper pieces related to television with a white bow.

I agree with the fabric. Find some inexpensive fabric and sew it like a drawstring bag. Easy straight lines, simple to do. They can reuse it for other things.

I have gotten towels on clearance and used those as wrapping-sometimes they cost more than paper, but at least they have a purpose.

I have bought throws and used those to wrap,also shower curtains. Anything that will match the decor, and usually costs the same (or sometimes less) than wrapping paper.

All of the other ideas I have used.. but I have also bought plastic table covers.. that you'd use for a picnic..or drop cloths that are needed if they are painting rooms, or any area, at the Dollar Store, they come in different colors and some are stronger than others....

Like Grandma Margie, I've also used a flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth to wrap a big gift. It was also for a wedding gift, so I used a tablecloth with a pretty gold background that had lavender flowers and used grosgrain (wire-rimmed) ribbon in that same shade of lavender. I figured they could also re-use the tablecloth if they wanted.

Set tv in center of a blanket or darker coloed sheet. Bring up the sides and use twine or yarn to tie ends together. Can pin the sides together if necessary with safety pins. Can buy new, or go to thrift store and get one.

I like to save the color comics pages and wrap gifts with it. Then it can be recycled afterward or even used by the recipient to wrap another gift. Or you could get end rolls from a newspaper (I'm a reporter at a paper and we sell our end rolls -- leftovers when they change rolls of paper -- for a couple of dollars) and decorate/personalize them with paint or markers. The tablecloth idea is nice, too, or perhaps an attractive blanket draped smoothly.

You could use an inexpensive sheet and keep it together w/ straight pins. Same thing with an outdoor tablecloth. KMart and Walmart sell those by the yard. Both could be re-used. Comics from the newspaper or even sports section with chosen headlines can be a delightful twist. With the first two, I would not do the bottom of the box as it might ruin the fabrics for future use. Also, the heavy paper used to protect floors during construction is a good choice but not to buy, it is a bit pricey but check for someone with leftover and have everyone write a special note on it. Keep it clean as kids and oldsters will probably read them. Hope this gives you some ideas

You can get a huge brown paper drop cloth from the hardware store for about 4 dollars. You can stencil a design on it or splatter paint it or use it plain and tie with raffia and dried flowers and attach a few packs of seed to the bow because that would make the groom happy!

If you know the size of their bed, sheets work well for big gifts. That way their gift comes with a gift.

Spray paint the box with beautiful gold/silver paint. Then just put a bow on top.

I would forgo wrapping the entire TV - perhaps take the remote and/or the instruction manual out of the box and wrap those nicely - you could even use the seed paper for this. Logistically - are you bringing the gift to the reception or to a shower or other event - or delivering it to them at their new home? The less that big box has to be moved - especially with all the other things they are getting - the better!

When I have big gifts - I will usually hide them out of sight, and then either wrap a small representation, wrap it as a scavenger hunt with clues leading to the real gift, or take a picture and wrap that.

Use a plain white or colored paper tablecloth that you can find at any dollar store. Top with a nice bow.

Go to the dollar store and buy a plastic shower curtain.

Since the gift is a t.v., why not stick with the theme and paste t.v. guides from old newspapers/magazines all over the box? It's recycling too!

We keep many types of garbage bags on hand, so in addition to the ones I recycle from shopping, we use the right size, type, weight, etc. The largest and strongest bags I have are the contractor bags and they are incredibly thick and heavy. I would put that over the gift. They then have a very nice bag to reuse or even carry the non-breakable gifts home in from the shower or wedding.

A boy holding a large wrapped Christmas present.
Wrapping Large Gifts
Holidays and Parties Gifts Wrapping PaperApril 24, 2008
brown paper gift wrap
Frugal Gift Wrapping Ideas
Wrapping a Present, Woman in Green Wrapping a Present
Wrapping a Present
paper, scissors, tape, and other gift wrap supplies
Gift Wrapping Station Ideas
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
🎉
🎄