SoilGardening

Plants Dying After Soil Treated With Unknown Poison/Herbicide

Category Soil

I've just started gardening, and the soil was poisoned (with an unknown, but strong product) a couple of years ago. I planted a lot of plants and a week to ten days later they are all dying, do I have to replace soil or is there anything I can treat it with?

Margaret

I would contact your local county extension office; even round up which kills all plants the area can be replanted after a week or so. I just cannot imagine something that would be so strong it still kills all plant life!

These folks are master gardeners and should be able to help you with this! Good luck!

Anonymous

Sounds like vegetation killer. That can keep plants from growing from 1 to 2 years or longer, depending on how much rain you have had and will get. Rain helps the chemicals recede into the ground, it wouldn't do any good to replace the soil because even if you replaced 12 to 14", the chemicals go too deep and would still kill the roots.

You can help the process along by watering the area often, but make sure the water goes into the ground instead of running off or it will kill all the plants and grass where it runs off.

Bush green beans are easy to grow and germinate fast, so during the time the ground is warm enough, keep planting them and when they come up and stay up, you should be able to start planting again.