Browsing: Mashed Potato Tips

Mashed Potato Tips

Tips and ideas for making mashed potatoes. Post your ideas.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Isn't it silly to throw away the potato cooking water that contains so many nutrients, and then add just milk to the potatoes for mashing? A much better idea is to save the potato water & mix it according to the directions on the box with dry milk for mashing. This way, you get the benefits of the potato water & the milk and save some money to boot. Happy mashing.

By joesgirl

Our family loves when I put basil, garlic, and butter in the mashed potatoes.

My grandma made something we called sugar potatoes...nutmeg, sugar, butter, and milk. Still a family favorite.

Add chicken broth and milk to soften and a little butter. I use a hand masher instead of a mixer as I like a few chunks. Salt an Pepper.

Garlic Mashed pototoes: Roast a whole bulb of garlic. Slice end of garlic so it will stand in a pie tin or small baking pan. Drizzle some olive oil over it and bake it in a 400 degree oven for about thirty minutes. Let cool and squeeze the yummy roasted garlic out of the peel. Make potatoes as above.

I add milk to my mashed potatoes, but I use the water that I cook the potatoes to make the gravy. Usually one uses the pan drippings from a beef roast, ham or turkey and adds a little water and thickening, so I just use the potato water. I mix a little cornstarch into a little cold water and stir it in to thicken the gravy. Lots of the nutrients from the potatoes are in the water.

Harlean from Arkansas

MY GRANDMOTHER ALWAYS PUT THE POTATO WATER IN HER GRAVY. SHE TAUGHT ME THIS TRICK WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS THINK MY GRAVY IS THE BEST. WE NEVER HAVE ANYONE WITH INDIGESTION PROBLEMS FROM EATING THE GRAVY MADE WITH THE POTATO WATER.

ALSO.....IF I AM NOT MAKING GRAVY BUT HAVING MASHED POTATOES, I ALWAYS SAVE THE POTATO WATER FOR STOCK IN SOUPS AND STEWS.

TUEY

I use the water left from boiling my potatoes to make the very best gravy. After I have fried my chicken or cubed steak, I make a roux(pour off the extra oil from cooking the meat. Keep the browned bit in the pan- this is the flavor. add a couple of tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper. alow this to brown) Then pour some of the potato water and a little milk to make your gravy richer. Watch and keep stirring. The potato water will thicken the gravy to perfection. I got this tip from my wonderful Mom in law. This is so good!

I add about 1/2 cup of Ranch dressing to my mashed potatoes.

By Annette

Mashed potatoes will be fluffier if you warm (not boil) the milk or cream before adding.

cj

When I make mashed potatoes I boil the potatoes whole with the skin on, then peel (if I don't just mash with peel a la Cracker Barrel) after they're cooked (usually about an hour). Then I add salt, pepper, and a little margerine or butter and mash first, and milk last. This makes the potatoes much creamier than if you dice the potatoes and allow them to soak up all that water.

milk,butter and a mixer best mashed potatoes ever

when the potatoes are mashed , I add chez whiz to taste and mix in.

instead of using milk, I use 0%fat Carnation evaporated milk,, saves a lot on calories and gives a great taste with extra calcium no butter needed

Throwing caution and my coronary arteries to the wind(!) a large tablespoon of mayonnaise is nice in potatoes - already mashed with full cream milk and a knob of butter - makes them extra creamy. Here in Australia most mayonnaise has sugar as the main ingredient, yuk! I always choose the ones, (I've only found 2), with eggs as the main ingredient.

Regards

Jo

For left over mashed potatoes I always add a egg, some chopped onion, celery salt, any seasonings you like,mix up and fry tablessoons full in a skillet in a little olive oil. We love potato patties this way.

Mix powdered milk instead of fresh milk when you make mashed potatoes. Not only will you save money, but you'll find your potatoes are firmer and less liquidy.

By Robin

Try using Russet baking potatoes for your mashed potatoes. Delicious!

By Ginny

Try mixing some sour cream into the mashed potatoe mix.. it makes for a great taste!

I boil mashed potatoes with boullion cubes beef or chicken. sometimes when i forget to add a few during boiling i will blend it in during mixing giving the potatoes extra flavor.

TRY USING BUTTERMILK INSTEAD OF REGULAR MILK.

ALSO USE REAL BUTTER INSTEAD OF MARGARINE.

FOR A REAL TREAT USE NEW POTATOES BOILED WITH THE SKINS ON.

YUMMY !!!

I use golden yukon potatoes with skins on and boil until soft. I drain off the water (but now going to save after reading the other posts). Mash with a pototo masher. Leave some chunks. Put in a few table spoons of butter, milk or cream a small amount, chopped green onions (2 sprigs), 1/4 cup of 4 cheese mexican shredded by Kraft, dash of salt and a few turns of fresh pepper and I add one dash of garlic powder. I have even added some real bacon bits.

Adding wholegrain mustard at the mashing stage tastes delicious!

I add a couple big pinches of baking powder which makes potatoes fluffy and add half and half and real butter. They are great!

I add a couple big pinches of baking powder which makes potatoes extra fluffy and add half and half and real butter. These are great!

Bowl of mashed potatoes with potatoes in background.
Mashed Potato Tips
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJanuary 21, 2005
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 11, 2016 at 12:23:56 PM on 10.0.1.7 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.