Crane Visits The Yard

This beautiful sand crane was wandering around my front yard on Monday looking for his breakfast of tasty bugs and worms.

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

Crane Visits The Yard

How wonderful! What a beauty, I think they are a beautiful bird!

Hi -- It is interesting to see where the sandhill cranes spend their winters!! They spend their summers up here in Saskatchewan. We see them in small flocks or pairs in the fields in the spring and summer.

I've seen those cool birds in my parents' yard - they live in Hudson (but it's really closer to Spring Hill).

Lovely, what a sight to see!

May 23, 2011 Flag

Peaches was making a commotion the other day in my home office, so I ran in there to see what was going on. She had found Big Bird outside of our window, and was trying to communicate with the bird. Actually the bird is a sand crane and had walked right up to the window. Lo and behold she was trying to catch Big Bird through the window.

Peaches is a Manx cat and was rescued by me about four years ago along with her sister, Pineapple. They are a wonderful addition to my household. Manx cats have no tails and are very smart.

The sand cranes usually come in pairs to my yard a few times a week, and are quite interesting to watch. I thought it was an adorable photo, and wanted to share it with every one.

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

A cat looking out the window at a sandhill crane.

I love this picture, happy you were able to capture it in time. :)

I wonder if they're the non-migratory kind of crane or if they're wintering in Florida from the International Crane Foundation in central Wisconsin.

These birds are precious, and it's fun to know that you have pairs - they usually mate for life and it would be sad to see a mature bird all by itself.

Maybe he was looking at his reflection in the window? Silly bird!

Photos WildlifeFebruary 13, 2009
A woman looking at Medicare paperwork.
Medicare Part B Coverage Advice
A beautiful yard.
Solutions for a Sour Smelling Yard
A gnome in a garden.
Preventing Yard and Garden Theft
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard