Tennis Balls as Alternative to Dryer Sheets

To save money and time when drying your clothes, instead of using dryer sheets or dryer balls, put three tennis balls in the dryer with your load. This saves you money by not having to buy dryer sheets and cuts drying time in half. The tennis balls can be used over and over. They also make your clothes softer. I do this every time.

By blueeyes27 from Peru, IN

Top Comment

This does work but it does not take away static - add a ball of crumpled up aluminum foil with the tennis balls and no more static. Also, you can keep reusing the aluminum foil ball. It lasts a long time.

Top Comment

The fact of latex allergies and the tennis balls. The heat of the dryer releases more chemical into the clothing, resulting in more than 1 person's use being contaminated.

So, as a whole, for a single person doing it to their own clothing, maybe fine. But with more and more people having this allergen, it is food for thought.

My latex allergies have popped up in my 50s. Not an issue before. Now the horrible hives, breathing issues, etc. So it is something to consider.

Top Comment

I had used tennis balls for quite some time, but my husband complained that his towels smelled like rubber and I started noticing that some of my clothes had that smell.

Does the tennis ball banging on the fabric pilt the fabric or damage or weaken the fabric?

I only use tennis balls when drying pillows or other stuffed or filled items. The aluminum foil idea I will try, thanks, speakeasy!

A single tennis ball on a white background
Using Tennis Balls in the Dryer
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJuly 14, 2011
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Tennis Ball on White Background
Uses for Tennis Balls
🎉
🎄