ElectronicsProduct Reviews

Reviews of DVD/VCR Combos

Is there anyone who has a recommendation for a DVD/VCR combo? I read lots of really negative reviews, but such a machine would be really handy for me, if it worked. Thanks, Thrifty Friends!

By Bob

I have two. I initially bought them to copy my VCR tapes that I wanted to keep. I also wanted to tape TV shows using my old VCR tapes. I know it's old technology, but I have a bunch of tapes that were still good that I just didn't want to throw out. And I just tape some tv shows I regularly watch because of my work/sleep schedule; nothing to keep.

One is very complicated to use. It formats the DVD discs as soon as they are copied, so after you record a tv show, the disc cannot be reused. It's a couple of years old, and the remote has already quit working and cannot be replaced, so I cannot use it to its full capacity.

I like the other player that uses read/write discs, so I can record, erase, and record again. It saves a bunch on the cost of the DVDs. This one is about two years old too; the VCR has given out and cannot be used to either copy of play tapes.

I've not been very happy with either. They were very expensive and neither has held up as well as I'd expected. When I bought them, they were the only VCRs that I could find. Personally, I think that you'll have a hard time even finding a VCR anything anymore, which is why I didn't even check the brands. Good luck.

I have a Phillips DVD/VCR & it's about 3+ years old & works fine,w/reg. cleanings.Came w/a remote too. I don't record anything though.It plays CDs too,but sounds tinny because of the TVs speakers.But it's great for reg. use.I hope this helps.