Bury Plastic Bottles for Garden Irrigation

I am thinking of soaking my garden by melting small holes in soda jugs with my leather burning tool ( a flame to a needle or screwdriver might do as well), then sinking the jugs right side up to their necks into the garden dirt near the plants with about 3 inches exposed above ground.

Then I would fill the jugs with water daily, replacing the lids to prevent evaporation. I would just uncap and fill them each day to get a deep soak. I figure the jugs might serve to heat the ground as well, as the air in them warms from the sun. I am opting for soda jugs as they take up less space than milk jugs would. Any thoughts on this? Does it sound worth trying?

That sounds like a good idea. It would use very little water but it will be labor intensive to fill the bottles daily. It might work for just a few bottles but I'd hate to fill 50 of these a day.

You could melt the holes like you said, or drill them with a power screwdriver.

I did something similar for my outdoor containers last year. I just punched holes in 20 oz bottles, buried them with their caps on. I didn't need to fill them everyday, just once every 2 or 3 days. People would ask me what they were there for. I would laugh and say I was growing pop bottles. LOL they worked great! Keeping the cap keeps the bugs out. Also, this way you can put your fertilizer in with the water. Try it, you'll like it.

With the bottle sitting right side up drill a 1/16 inch hole in the side of the bottle below the little collar just below the cap. Cut the bottom off of the soda bottle most have a ring about 1 1/2 inches up from the bottom cut there. With the cap on bury the bottle upside down in the ground up to where the bottle starts getting its biggest roundness if your dirt is real loose you may need to bury it a little deeper. With the bottle sitting up right the drilled hole under the collar keeps the hole from getting stop up with dirt and it lets the water drain on real slow. Doing them this way makes them a lot easier and quicker to fill and not that much water will evaporate. I have tried different numbers of holes at different places but this works best.

As long as you buy the bottles. We have strong winds and if you just place the bottles on top of the dirt, they will blow away once the water level decreases.

I have done this for years with 100% success! The difference being, I always use 1 gallon glass jugs. They are perfect! These jugs do not have to be refilled daily. You could go away for the weekend and not have to worry, and you will be surprised at how little water they use. They do not blow over in the wind. They are recyclable year after year. I put one at the base of every plant in my garden and since I like funky, eclectic garden art, they also look pretty cool.

Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Uses for Plastic Pop Bottles
Better Living Green Living Gardening IrrigationMarch 19, 2009
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Water Bottle
Using Recycled Buckets and Bottles for Irrigation
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
🎉
🎄